PDA

View Full Version : windshield or not

Surfer
02-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I have a vintage 18 with no windshield, and like the look of one...does the shield really deflect enough wind to be functional, and how would it fit with the grab rail. Donzi will sell the shield at a pretty reasonable price. Any views?

KRAVEN
02-10-2003, 09:38 AM
The windshield will not fit with the grab rail attached.I like the apperance of the18 without the windsheild.I tower over the windsheild at 6'2" and cant really find a benefit in having one.Just my thoughts!

tamburello
02-10-2003, 09:44 AM
There have been a few posts previously that have debated the aesthetic and functional merits of having the windshield vs. the grab rail on an 18 classic. The 18 classic is a beautiful boat with or without the windshield. I have a windshield on my '94 18 and personally prefer the looks of the windhield slightly over the grab rail.

As to the functional aspect of the windshield on an 18, the word windshield is a bit of a misnomer. Wind diverter would be a more applicable term in this case. If you are taller than 3' 7" the "windshield" basically just diverts the wind directly into your face. I tried driving my 18 once without sunglasses and had a constant stream of tears running back across my cheeks from the wind blasting in my face. The wind force is by no means unbearable or harsh but it definitely warrents a pair o' shades for the sake of comfort.

If you like the looks of the windshield by all means bolt one on, but if you are looking for something to keep the wind and spray off of your face a full faceshield motorcycle helmet would be a much better investment.

That my $.02, here's some additional thoughts:

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005384#000000

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004257#000000

Surfer
02-10-2003, 12:45 PM
In the second above link, there is a picture of a barrel back with a windshield and a grab rail outside of it. Were any produced like that or is it a mod?

Danny
02-10-2003, 12:48 PM
I have never driven of riden in a 16 or 18 with a windshield but I know that my passengers and myself when I am a passenger I like the Holy Sh*t Bar. I also like the wet slap in the face you get when you stuff the nose. I think I would have broken a windshield or 2 with either that six wall of water that rolls up the deck or with my face.
Danny

Ranman
02-10-2003, 01:47 PM
I've debated this topic with members here in the past and have now come to the following conclusion:

A 22 Classic should always have a windshield.

On the 18 Classics, I prefer the windshield on the newer models like mine (1997) and no windshield on the older vintage models. The original 18's from the 60's and 70's need to be w/s free. The 18's from the 80's 90's and 00's can be either way, but I prefer the w/s on these years.

The 16 Classics, I feel are too small for a windshield and thus should be grab rail only UNLESS a windshield was installed originally (ie Tony Sporer's Ski Sporter). In these cases the WS should stay. Do I make any sense here???

RedDog
02-10-2003, 01:58 PM
No Randy, you're making no sense wink 16s, 18s or Classic 22s should never have a windshield (Tony's excepted) :D :D :D

tamburello
02-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Randy, you make more sense than me. I'll second your guidelines for windshields/grab rails. I wonder what a tuna tower would look like on a classic?

- Jeff

William J. Eernisse
02-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Didn't Donzi (including Teleflex) produce a two-piece aluminum-framed winshield for the pre-'80 boats? I think it looked similar to the 19 foot "Green Hornet" production boat of 1965. I saw a 1971 16 foot with that two-piece winshield; ruined the profile completely! Wouldn't look any better on my 1978 18 footer. The 22 looks much better with the short windscreen; enhances the longer foredeck.

goatee
02-10-2003, 10:25 PM
i like the w/s on the 18's and 22's and even the 16's i guess. but only with the stainless steal! not the 80's 22's and the bent plastic that looks like your son's shop project.

knee deep
02-11-2003, 06:19 AM
The dealer that sold Donzi where I grew up always sold his boats with windshields. This was in the 60's. I always liked that windshield and all the 16's on our lake had one, as did the first one I rode in. I believe that that two piece wrap around style windshield was the same style for the 18. I would love to find one for my boat!

riverrat
02-11-2003, 07:05 AM
I love my '18 w/o the windshield. & it makes the boat alot more user friendly to board from the bow. which in my case is most of the time. that being said, the harbormaster's boat has the windshield & it's a great looking boat. the ride I took in it was okay. and I did'nt really notice any defferance. the shield is so low. eek!
the rat..

harbormaster
02-11-2003, 08:36 AM
I like the looks of the windshield on my 18. My passengers hold onto the windshield frame instead of a "weenie bar". As far as boarding, the windshield has never been a problem to step over. You can also put stickers on it. :D

As for blocking wind, It is pretty much non-functional. It does stop water from from coming from the foredeck into your lap. UNLESS YOU STUFF A WAVE!

Surfer
02-11-2003, 08:52 AM
I like the look also, can anyone give any feedback on the position of the shield frame in relation to the uh.."weenie bar" holes. Will the shield cover holes, or do I have to fill and finish ect.

mattyboy
02-11-2003, 11:27 AM
"weenie bar". Harbor I believe you have terminology confused it is grab rail and weenie shield. :p wink :D

not sure about the holes lining up??? the older 18 had 2 rails on the side and the newer 18 without the windshield have a wrap around rail like the 16"s.

I believe I agree with Randy wink :D
Now if I can only get him to see the light on Volvo eek! :rolleyes:

Matt

riverrat
02-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Alright Matty!! I think that bar qoute was directed at me.. (not sure) but, you should have seen the harbormaster holding on to it! eek!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
02-11-2003, 03:37 PM
I can see myself tripping on the windshield as I jumped onto the bow to perform the old human-bumper- to-prevent-the-boat-from-crashing-into-the-dock-because-I-came-in-too-hot-and-stalled-the-engine maneuver!

LOL!! cistineb

FR

Surfer
02-11-2003, 03:58 PM
The question still remains... I have an older boat, side weenie bars ah grab rails only, does the shield frame line up with the holes? After this conversation I think I'm staying with the stock look and buying googles though.

RH
02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
The three Donzi's on our lake were two 1968's and a1969 18 classic all had the wrap around 2 piece windshield that is very similar to my 1972 Hornet. This is probably a boxers/briefs preference type of topic! I really think that the windshield enhances the looks of the boat and gives it a nice proportion. Even the windshield on my Hornet does not protect as mush as I would like, it still is very functional. I just have to duck if it gets too wild. Either way, the boats look great, it's just what trips our own trigger!
RH

Barry Phillips
02-12-2003, 08:34 AM
I like the windshield on my 18, it gives the boat a nice look. In terms of wind protection, it's useless, the fact is it makes the wind worse. It dose not take a large air deflecter to reduce the wind blast. Windaway a clamp on air defector would work great. A friend of my has 21' Superboat Legend with a wrap arround rail similar to the 16s and 18s with defectors attached to it, great look, and it works. I have also seen this setup on a Sonic, cool.

SO-SLO