PDA

View Full Version : Under Drive Pulleys?

HyperDonzi
02-09-2003, 12:00 PM
What does everyone think of Under Drive pulleys that slow down your accessories? If I put these on the boat, I will put a crossover water tube on it, so cooling water isnt an issue.

Thanks for any info,
Tommy

MOP
02-09-2003, 04:21 PM
There are several good articles on under drive pulleys that say they will give you a little more HP. I am not shure how much, the power steering units I would say must run at normal speed and once your battery is fully charged the alternator does not take much power. If either a cross over or electric circ pump is used what are you gaining. Food for thought!

P.S. Trim&Tilt and trim tabs take a fair bit of juice will you be able to keep a good charge?

BigGrizzly
02-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Don't use them!!! You will underdrive both the water pump and altnator. Neither should be ubderdriven. Some guys under drive the powersteering for high speed driving. Most marine applications are marginal any way. For your information we did some Dyno test and found their claims to horse power gains is highly over inflated. On a 383 worked sB chevy it saves under 2 hp in the lover and about one in the upper power above 5300. Its kind of like the OSO post sayinf that if you tale off the circulating pump and put on a crossover you will gain 20 HP. Neither of my engines use 20 hp if I remove all the belts. the circ pump deaws 3->4 when fully loaded down not worth it- but they are pretty. Beleive if they wuld really give more power they would be on my boats.. Save your mony and get really good plug wires cap and rotor and even new pluggs

HyperDonzi
02-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Yeah, thats what it seems :( I will buy 8mm plugs, new rotor cap, Bosch Platinum plugs, what about a coil??, current is stock 2 years old, stock motor now, but looking at some goodies for it :)

MOP
02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
A hot coil will help, but for real smooth preformance and little gain in power MSD, Jacobs Malloy etc all have good merits. I have run Jacobs for many years and have been very happy. The same is like wise for the other quality brands used by alot of the guys. I do believe in the multi spark units, they will make a carbed engine start like injection in the middle of winter. My dodge picked up a little over a mile to a gal and a little power, It idles like glass better than when it was new.

BUIZILLA
02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
HyperBaja:
I will buy 8mm plugsWow, I gotta check these out... :D Is there a weight savings too?? cistineb

I use Magnecor or MSD wires and Denso plugs on my race cars. Magnecor has the lowest ohms per foot. I am NOT a fan of Bosch Platinum's, especially on a blown engine. Rapidfires and Denso have given EXCELLENT service, and are easiest to read *color* when tuning, BUT they have two different center post designs, you want the bigger of the two.. The multi spark boxes are excellent choices, but they make plug reading by *color* difficult. You have to go by electrode pattern, and *termination point*, when reading plugs on spark boxes.

I have some neat plug reading rules we use on my race cars if your interested.

J

drinking started....south of east now

HyperDonzi
02-10-2003, 02:19 PM
8mm Plugs :rolleyes: :D

I had good luck with Bosch platinum over the regular champions in it.... If I go to low resistance wires, why not NGK?

MOP, you think I should buy the multi spark unit for easier starting? I think MSD has a Marine V6 mulit spark unit that goes for around 300.....

BUIZILLA
02-10-2003, 03:42 PM
NGK's are an excellent choice too. I use those specifically on 2 of my cars due to the 14.95 and 15.9-1 compression ratio's of each. The electrode on the Denso gets a nice olive green color when the timing and mixture combo are *spot on*. Easier to read detonation *bug splatter* on NGK's versus the Denso's due to the ceramic center dome design too.

J

Ranman
02-10-2003, 04:08 PM
HyperBoy,

I'm not raggin' ya, but why don't you seriously consider the following:

Forget about the Baja and it's 4.3L V6. Drop the hop-ups and just enjoy the boat. It's not a performance boat and really never will be. Take the money and save it for YOUR first boat. There's no point in putting any money into that boat. It's like saying I want to spend $300 to put a MSD in my Dodge Neon. Neon's are not race cars nor will they ever be. The $300 would be better spent towards a Mustang, something with potential. Do you follow what I'm saying? This logic will become infinatly more clear as time goes by and you get older. Exercise some self-control and start saving the money for a Donzi.

You're a smart kid learning a lot here and you're hangin' out in the right place. You know a lot for your age and will be good with this stuff in a few years. Save your money, hold out, do the right thing. You'll appreciate it much more in the end.

There's a saying my friends and I have had for a long time regarding how to spend our money and how to decide what we should buy. I would always say this line to a friend who would tell me something like "I have $5 right now, and I'm thinking about buying the base model widget today, or maybe I should wait and get the top-of-the-line widget in a month?" My answer to that is always:

"Spend the extra ten dollars and smoke the good stuff."

I really try to follow that theory in most cases, in fact it's why I held out and bought a Donzi. Now you can take it for what it is, but don't use it in your signature for heavens sake. :)

HEre's and idea... Why don't you start a Donzi fund and update us all on how it progresses? You know, set a goal amount and do the thermometer thing. Maybe you could design a cool t-shirt for the Donzi Registry and if you ask nicely the Harbormaster would give you a small commission on each shirt sold to go to your Donzi fund. If you worked hard and came up with a good design, I'd buy a couple. Maybe you could come to Donzi events like AOTH and be a deck hand for a few bucks and a free Donzi ride. Maybe you could come up wit an attractive goodie for us to buy. Be creative, save your money, stay involved with us and one day we'll get to see your first Donzi. I bet if you tried hard enough, you could have a pile of cash by summertime, maybe not enough for a boat, but a great start.

Forrest
02-10-2003, 04:27 PM
I run an aluminum underdrive pulley on the alternator only. If your engine is running 5000 RPM, your alternator with that small stock pulley, must be turning close to 10,000 RPM. Ain't no way you need to turn it that fast to keep you battery charged. But the main reason that I use an aluminum underdrive alternator pulley is that aluminum pulleys don't rust in the groove where the belt rides like steel pulleys. That way your belt lasts much longer and you don't get that black belt dust sucked into your flame arrestor. I also use stock-size aluminum pulleys on the crank and water pump. Also, I would use an aluminum pulley on my PS pump, but I haven't found one that has the correct setback yet; however, I hear the KE makes one that might work$.

HyperDonzi
02-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Randy,
Ive been told that so many times, but how you said that, Im pretty certain I will now save the money and buy a real performance boat.

So I cant put all that in the signature? :D

I will try to come up with something useful, and play around with some crayons later...

I will hopefully be going to AOTH this may, just need to talk mom into it :)
Well, I gotta get back to school work...
Tommy