PDA

View Full Version : auxiliary water pickups

Digger
02-07-2003, 04:51 PM
this is a spinoff from the latest closed cooling thread. I am in research mode on auxiliary raw water pickups. I would like very much much to see photos of existing systems, with the following questions in mind;

--for those who combine lower unit raw water pickup with flow from the aux pickup, how do you combine it? some type of Y fitting I imagine. any lessons learned?

--recommendations on specific placement of raw water strainers? Is it simply a question of where there is room in the engine compt or is some other strategy involved? (minimizing runs of hose would be one that comes to mind, others?)

--what type of inner diameter am I aiming for in the pickup? Grizz recommends 1 1/4" ID hose, anything special to look for in the pickup?

--any other advice concerning pickups?

MOP
02-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Moody Blu did the conversion last year, the results are posted in the how to section. If you do decide to do so use a straight run from transom p/u with the drive teed in. The size recommended by Griz is good. Strainers to me depend on where you boat. In my neck of the woods I do not need one. But the bays south of me they are manditory. A vacuum gauge before the pump added to the mix gives you some warning of things plugging up. And a prssure gauge after will let you know your pump is doing its job.

BigGrizzly
02-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Digger ou ypurs don't bother. judt get the transom pickup from stainless marine and close off the bravo hose, or just run it back out and make it a drive shower the water pressure will keep it flowing. Btw. neck the bravo hose down to 1/2 id. Moody blue combined it like idid in the Corsican worls fine. There is no need for low water pickup on your boat at all- it will just cause trouble eith mud etc. Just for information sake the problem with the Bravo id the internal 90 deg inside of the upper unit and the restriction of the trasom plate it flows only as good as a 3/4 id hose which curs the volume down. I disagree with MOP, a strainer are a good thing anywhere I mainly boat on a lake and you would be surprised what you pick up. Besides you take that boat far and wide north and south and it is god insurence to keep the exchanger clear. A vaccume guage won't show you anything except at idle because underway ithe pickup acts like a pitoe tube and as a flyer you know what that means I have a pressure guage just before the heat exchanger. I also have one in the block to watch engine temp, why is just because I had an extra one so what the heck.

Marlin275
02-07-2003, 09:37 PM
I have a sea strainer on my pick up and it makes a big difference! In the Great South Bay, Long Island there was sea grass in big clumps everywhere. The kids said, "Dad the boat is smoking," was steam out the exhaust, and sure enough the water temp was over 170. I stopped, cleared the strainer by hand leaning over the side, and back to normal.

Dalelama
02-08-2003, 07:15 AM
What's the procedure if you got ab Alpha I?

Jamesbon
02-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Some food for thought. A pair of old and new water pickups. The old is from my 71 GT, the new is from Stainless Marine.

If anyone's interested, the old pick up is for sale...make me an offer...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscpickup1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscpickup2.jpg

Dalelama
02-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Oh yaeh! I'm putting that on MY boat!!!

Nat... you comming to Miami next week?

Digger
02-08-2003, 03:23 PM
thanks for the input everybody, and Nate thx for posting the pix. Lots to think about. In the meantime strainers have arrived, along with manifolds from Stainless, still deciding on closed cooling vendor, but it will probably be perf.prod.tech. I'll post pics of how the whole lash-up plumbs together when we're done.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-08-2003, 08:25 PM
DIGGER, sounds neat, and I look forward to the pictures. What strainers did you go with?
Bob went with Marine Machine, very nice.

Sel board announce yet?

Bryan

Digger
02-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Bryan, I went with Stainless Marine's superstrainers.

no board results yet :mad: I'm told the results will be on the street this coming friday...we'll see