PDA

View Full Version : Left or right handed steering?

Eugene Nahemow
05-04-2003, 03:45 PM
What was the reason that earlier Donzi's steering was left handed and why did they change to right?

I am going to be filling in my entire dash to start fresh. Is there any performance reason to stay with the original left handed steering? Or is it just nostalgia? I noticed in Gene D's boat he changed the steering over.

Thanks.

Formula Jr
05-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Wynne designed that into the early Donzis so that they could only use the Volvo Drives - which he was getting a royality on. Mercs didn't spin left so if you put a merc on a Port Helmed boat the torque reaction would not balance out the weight of the driver. Volvos always could spin Left or Right. The traditional helm is always on the Starboard Side - The Steer Board Side - since the days of the vikings cause that used the stronger right arm to steer with.

MOP
05-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Gee you mean they were not custom built for Righties & Lefties :D

Tony
05-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Wasn't there also something about the European-like feeling of a port pilot, trying to appeal to the worldly, well-to-do type of crowd?

Leave it port!

Tony
'67 port helm, furnace vent under rear seat, and a windshield!

Eugene Nahemow
05-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys,
I really didn't want to change it, but needed to hear if it would make any performance difference.

My other classic was left handed and I'll keep this one the same.

Poodle,
What are you talking about? When you open the hatch there will be a little itty bitty small block! wink I don't think Don would have minded a couple of more ponies.

Eugene Nahemow
05-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Scott,
Engine is looking good!
Is that the exhaust that you had to shave your hatch down a bit? I thought the Stainless Marine would fit under the hatch. Although it does look like the risers are sticking up a inch or so past your carb.

The headers on my engine stick up past the carb
exactly an inch. So I am concerned.

The boat will definitely not be ready this season.
This is a 2004 Spring boat. I will be playing with my Magnum and 1965 18' Keaton this season and working on the Donzi.

Regards.

Fish boy
05-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Man scott, that is one SWEEEEEET lookin engine. When is it going in?