PDA

View Full Version : Nest (flapper problem)

Lil Grizz
05-04-2003, 03:35 AM
So earlier tonight I decided to mess with my exaust for some reason :D . Now I know that when I leave the boat at the dock for an extended period of time these little birds perch on my tips and ladder, never been an issue.

Tonight however I noticed a bit of straw hanging from the port exaust. I figured a bird had nested on the outside of my flapper. I was wrong.

When I pulled the rubber tube off the whole thing was filled with leaves and straw plus evidence of bird habitation (gross!). Lots of straw... completely filled the rubber hose and the manifold. This was one of the only times I didnt start the boat before working on it.

This bird had been very busy in the 4 days that the boat had sat there. I decided to pull the header off just so I could get every bit of trash out. Well I found the bird in the second port, sadly he had trapped himself in there and must have starved.

The bird was able to get in that far because I had lost one of the backflow flappers. It is completely missing almost like it was ripped out. No pivot rod, nothing at all is left. I know it was there last weekend so it must have blown out on my way back to the dock. Didnt take the bird long to take advantage. Looks like on Monday I need to invest in a new set of tips that have a better flapper design. The ones I have now are the rex marine. I would like to get another set with the internal type, any suggestions?

Bad-Tat
05-04-2003, 06:05 AM
Mark,
Get the ones your Dad got for the 22. Very nice flapper set up in those and a grid that will keep your bird friends out.

MOP
05-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Off the topic but along the theme!

Scot this time of year several of our little Horney bird buddies build not one but several nests hoping one is just right for the sweetie he hopes to woo. I have about 15 bird houses and watch this happen every year, also at the yards one of the favorite spots is the booms on sail boats. Its fun to watch his eventual mate check each and every one out, sometimes you will see her select one only to clean it out very thoroughly and redo it her way! JUST LIKE A WOMEN!!!