PDA

View Full Version : Helping out one of the flock

harbormaster
09-08-2001, 07:30 PM
I received this email. Anyone care to help this gentleman with an answer?

I am hoping you can help us. We fell in love with a Donzi Hornet located at Lake Tahoe. It was not for sale. It had two bench seats. We were told it was a 19’, probably around a1972 but we are not sure if this information was reliable as the owner was not available.

We went on a search to find one to buy. We have located a 1986 Donzi Hornet 21 feet. It is represented as in perfect condition from the original owner with 248 original hours and only 38 hours on a new MC525 SC supercharged engine. The asking price is $25,000. It is several thousand miles away from us and we are scheduled to inspect it within the next week.

We are not familiar with the history of the Hornet. Our concern is that what we liked about the 1972 was the “retro” look with the windshield split in the center and only slightly curving back and the flared bow. Looking at pictures of later models, it appears that the windshield has a more contemporary angular look and runs back along the sides of the passenger compartment. Although it is difficult to tell from pictures we can find, it also appears that the bow flare has disappeared.

Can you help us to understand the differences we are likely to encounter when we go to inspect the 1986 Hornet? Do you have any recommendations as to the perceived value of the older versus newer models by those who are knowledgeable Donzi collectors? Any suggestions on things to watch for during our inspection? Does the price sound right?

Best regards,

Don LeClaire

Moody Blu'
09-08-2001, 09:20 PM
that sounds like a deal for $25,000!
how bout sending them a link to the topic I posted with the link to ebay!
;)

oldLenny
09-09-2001, 01:40 AM
http://www.nadaguides.com/GlobalFram e.asp?UserID=0538C80A5F6&DID=37142&Type=MR&GCode=MO&wSec=4&wPg=1107&Com=0308&Year=1986&Model=030800038 (http://www.nadaguides.com/GlobalFrame.asp?UserID=0538C80A5F6&DID=37142&Type=MR&GCode=MO&wSec=4&wPg=1107&Com=0308&Year=1986&Model=030800038)

A poor estimate from NADA above. They don't allow for the SC525 "option"...That has got to be worth a lot of pennies.

I know nothing about these boats, other than they are "very appealing"... One just sold for around $8200 with a 350 and a wonderful hull in good condition. Original gel-coat. North West coast of the US of A. :rolleyes:

Forrest
09-10-2001, 10:38 AM
I wish that I could buy an old Donzi at some of those NADA prices.

Anyway, Donzi built different versions of the Hornets at through the years. The origianl single cockpit 19', the two buckets and a bench seat 19', the 20' Hornet II, and the 21' Hornet III. The Hornet II and III were basically the same hull as the original Hornet but Donzi added some length. They did not change the bow flair or anything else on the hull through the years. The Hornet III has the modern "Minx-type" windshield. The Hornets prior to the III, had the two-piece curved windshield. Also the Hornet is the driest Donzi ever made. Highly recommended!