PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on Brainstorm idea

TuxedoPk
05-03-2003, 03:20 PM
It seems that nobody wants to leave their boat in the water, and launching retrieving boats eats away at time. I've called several marinas to see if they offer slips with lifts and they just aren't around, at least in the NYC area.

Do you think that putting lifts on several slips at a marina would bring a new crowd to the marina with our types of boats and willing to pay a premium over standard slip prices?

I'm posing this question because I have an opportunity to partner with the owner of a marina and I was hoping that this idea might improve occupancy rates and bring in premium on top.

McGary911
05-03-2003, 04:51 PM
I'll be first to chime in. Depends on the $$$. for a $25 foot slip, what kind of #s are you talking. Around $2000 for the season might be a workable #. Viability goes down as cost goes up. I've known people that sign a lease for a slip for 5 years, and can install their own lift as they wish. Lots of people use floating lifts, which require a lot of maintainence, as its basically another boat. You can put a nice motorized lift in for about 3. if youre gonna do 10 slips or so, you can probably get a better deal.

MOP
05-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Can you still find $25 a foot any where? Ratty slips are $50 out this way and some do $75. That being said I think that alot of guys would like Hydo Hoists and they would pay what ever the premium would be in a given area.

Bill H....
05-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Hi All,

At Grand lake where we keep our boat, slips rent for around $5 a foot. We are renting our for that price and we have a hydra hoist install (we own it) in the slip. In some places, if you pay up front for minimum of 1 yr, you can get one or two months free.

It would seem we are pretty reasonable here in OK!

Bill and Cheryl

McGary911
05-04-2003, 09:33 AM
$5 a foot! damn. MOP, i'd love to see even $25 per foot. My local marina in my town, which is owned\operated by the town, just went up to $100/ft this year. Thankfully i have a good deal on the same river where i pay $200/month for my 34 footer. Still, it would be nice to have a lift for the donzi, but around me it would probably be $2500+ for the season. Guess i'm a trailer guy till i win the lottery.....

Fish boy
05-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Do you guys have high and dry storage facilities up there? THey bring in pretty good money down here, but Budmann can tell you more about that- he ran the largest covered marina on the west coast of Florida for several years.

If the slips are going to be in the water with a lift, you might want to think about some sort of cover. It will add to the cost a little, but will greatly increase the desirability. jusy my $.02

FASTEDDIE
05-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Lake George dock space is now $125.00 per foot for the season and their is a waiting list.The lastest racket is inside storage with racks. You show up and they pull your boat out and have it in the water by the time you get out of the car and walk up to the dock. You must take the complete package which include winter storage ,winterization and unlimited summer lauching. My buddy has a 24 foot Baha and was quoted $4300.00 for the entire package.Facilities include Large screen TV,pool & ping pong table for rainy days,car parking ,soda and candy machines,gas dock,showers and towels. Your boat doesn't bang against the dock all day. The Sun doesn't beat on it all week untill you show up and seagulls don't s*it on it. Really not a bad deal if you want to keep your boat pristine. eek!

Silver Streak
05-04-2003, 11:05 AM
All slips on Grand aren't as inexpensive as Bill says. Last year Silver Streak lived in a 28' covered slip (all slips on Grand are covered) and I paid $194/month...course that included the Hydro Hoist :D .

My Sea Doo lived on a lift at the same Marina and was $25/month :p

Rick

Old Adam Smith was right...supply and demand... If you Yankees would just send some more folks to Florida, your rates would go down; or if you Floridians would send some Yankees home, your rates would go down. Just as long as they don't wind up here and cause my rates to rise... wink

DUCATIF1
05-04-2003, 01:10 PM
In Freeport they have high and dry valet type service which runs $85ft for the year but I think there is a 22' Min. They claim approx 45min to an hour call time is all that is req'rd. Where in the NYC area were you thinking?

MOP
05-04-2003, 02:56 PM
The variation in slip rates is astounding, our cheap Hi&Dry Ops here in my CHEAP area are $300 an month and up. We are in the process of erecting new racks right now for 30 footers $450 year round a month if you store with us. Long Island especialy out in my CHEAP area is getting out of hand. 5 yars ago they ran 125-150 but boat slips out on my end have dried up so everyone is getting the old Guzach! Even though I get a deep discount I trailer the main reason is freedom to go where ever I want when I want. Hi & Dry has strict hours in the marinas out here and if you come in late and take slip there is a SIR charge at most places for the extra time moving and racking.

RPD
05-04-2003, 08:03 PM
It seems the numbers quoted above vary as to the time period... apparently, some are $$$/foot/month and others are $$$/foot/season ??? ....

knee deep
05-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Hmm, airshow just ended and the Yankees should be all gone. Now we can afford to play golf and dock our boats......Dammit we do need them to come and spend money in the winter so we can play all summer. Maybe we could charge them more and have them stay for a shorter period of time-less traffic, more room on the beach, .........Just kidding!

Digger
05-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Tuxedo, build it and they will come. no joke. If you have an opportunity to get into something like this I would not pass it up.

TuxedoPk
05-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear everyone's opinions..even if the thread did turn into a what slips cost around that nation chat!

Making a few assumptions: Cost of money 7%, 10 year payment stream, the annual cost of providing each lift would be $418 using a $3k/lift figure, $557 using a $4k/lift figure. Of course, there would also be ongoing maintenance expenses, etc.

So, aside from the standard price for a slip, be it $5 or $125, how much more per year do you think people would readily pay Additionally for the lift? Does $1000-$1500 seem low/high/reasonable? Try to think in terms of what you would pay rather than the public, who we tend to believe would part more readily with their money.