PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion protection

florida gator
02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Ok, I want to get the most out of my new engine. What should I do both internally and externally for best protection? I haven't worried about it much before as I have approx 10 mile run up spring fed river to the marina when I do go into the gulf.

Thanks
James

riverrat
02-05-2003, 11:49 PM
that sounds like a good flush to me wink

MOP
02-06-2003, 09:50 AM
I have a few tips you may want to try, CRC has a spray rust preventitive which I put on all corrodable stuff like motor mounts, fuel pump, on ground and electrical connections I use a spray called Pro Clean. Pro Clean is dielectric it will stop all corrosion (make sure all are clean and tight) it will also keep all dash connections from going bad . If the spray can't get around I usualy spary some on a piece of cardboard then bush it ito hard to get at places. I also drill a tiny hole in bell housings so I can spray CRC the flywhel lightly every few weeks with the engine running it lubes and stops rust. I always spray WD-40 into the carb and kill the engine when done flushing to help to protect the inards. During fall layup I spray my pulleys heavily with the CRC stuff so I don't eat belts from rust build up. You will want to protect some stuff from sprays to avoid extra clean up. I also alway apply a good coating of under coating to my pan and bell housing shield.