PDA

View Full Version : simple adjustment question?

BabyDonzi
05-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Donzi Las and I just got Baby back today from a 5 month ordeal with the infamous Z-care warranty (that's another story soon to be told here).
We picked her up this afternoon and they tell us all is well and she's ready to go. Get her home, fire her up, and I guess all is well except for the stuck throttle!
She wont return to idle throttle, hangs up at 1k rpm instead of 600. I've sprayed her down with the ole' standby of WD40 hopeing she will free up by morning. I can return her with my hand on the linkage. It's simply hanging up. As I look at the linkage standing on my head, I see all sorts of springs and nuts.Remember the old days when we simply hooked up a stiff spring on the linkage to make sure they returned? Not so simple with EFI!
If anyone can direct me to the nut or spring that will adjust the linkage to make her return to idle, I sure would be grateful!
(Mercruiser shop manual is in the mail)!
2000 454 Mag MPI EFI

KMLFAMILY
05-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Ck. for a vacuum hose off or listen for a vacuum leak.(This can cause high idle)

Rootsy
05-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Does the throttle cable have an adjustable barrel on it like the carbed motors do? you said you had it at the dealer and who knows if anyone adjusted it or what not. If you have the throttle in the neutral position and can push the lever on throttle body back to the stop then remove the cable and move the barrel a turn or two away from the end of the cable. This lengthens the effective distance and forces the throttle against the stop. On the other side, make sure that you are getting WOT with the throttle all of the way down.

BabyDonzi
05-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
Found the throttle cable pinched between the exhaust and the transom. This and out of adjust caused the problem. Shop said they fired it up after the engine install and all was fine--------------yeh, right-----------------

BUIZILLA
05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
5 months ???