PDA

View Full Version : 28 Zx or ZXO Question....Just Curious?

Dr. Dan
04-30-2003, 08:35 AM
wink Hey Team....doing some research only...! But can someone who has experience or knowledge of this hull give me some feedback on the 377 Scorpion offering ....vs a Single Engine on Steroids? :p Which would yeild the best handling and Speed characteristics? I am aware of the inherent benefits of Twins...but I am interested in hard data from owners and people in the know...Hmmmmm Liz's Birthday is coming up :D

....Dazed and Delerious in the MidAtlantic...Doc

Greg K
04-30-2003, 10:02 AM
In my dreams...doubt much fishing would be done with this Future Donzi Model (http://www.donzi.net/photos/future38zf.jpg) and serious thong wearing babe hauler.

This is really cool!!

33 Daytona
04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
I had a 199828zx with a 454mag and a whipple and It ran 78.5GPS like a caddy! smooth and could handel more power! With the supercharger it was rated at around 593hp. We loved that boat, but decided to go a bit larger just for some of the extras (fridge, AC etc...)

Shanghied Again
04-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Dr, The Scorpion runs 77-78 mph gets a little back light at top end. The 28ZX runs with 350 mags 70-72mph both boats drag a little when they take off from twins you need trim tabs to take off. Its very hard to compare a single engine unless its in the ZXO. The old 28 single ran loose because of the old step. The 26ZX in comparison to the 28 Runs almost the same on steriods with a 502/SC720hp runs 81mph and has a better center of gravity then the 28 (Lighter in the rear) The 28 gives you more of a thrill with twins (The Sound of Power)trimming to get were you want to be. The single needs no trim to get on plain, Its all personal choice.

Ranman
04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
The 377 Scorps require 92 octane whereas the 350 MAGS only require 87. That's a big consideratino since in a 28ZX most of your fill-ups will be at the gas docks...

undertaker
04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Dr, as you know I had a 2000 28ZX with twin 350 mags ran 72 mph, IMO I thought the twin motors were a perfect match for this size boat, I had no complaints about the peformance, boat had good power from take off to mid range to top end. I loved my 28ZX, we only moved up to the 33ZX for more room and comforts (AC, fridge etc.). I would choose the 28ZX over the 28ZXO because you run a lot in the upper Chesapeake Bay and a open bow in my opnion is NO GOOD. My two cents. Good luck in whatever you decide.

RedDog
04-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Dr Dan - I had the good fortune to ride in one with twin Scorpions last year and loved if. It was still fairly new and not necessary dialed in all the way. I clocked 77.5 on the GPS.

I could send you some video on CD - drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

BRIAN73
04-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Hello Dr.Dan

Are you and Liz comming to Lake George for the Dust Off. I haven't seen you guys since Winne. God bless George and Bonnie for letting me crash on his couch.

I drove the 28ZXO in the single and twin configuration for Donzi's dealer meeting 2 years in a row. I have logged alot of hours in those two boat's. My experience with the non ZXO model with Scorpion's is limited to about an hour.

In my oppion the ZXO is the S**T if you want a fast boat with a killer setup.
On the otherhand, if your like me and primarily enjoy getting lots of air and pushing it every weekend, I would go with the 28ZX.

See you both on The Queen Of All Lakes.
Yah You Know The One.

Brian Englert

Bill H....
04-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Dan,

My wife and I have a 28ZXO with the single 496 MAG HO engine. So far, it is an excellent boat and engine combo. We really don't have any other point of reference. A few months before we purchased this ZXO, we rode in another ZXO (one with twin 350 mags) but it was just a demo ride. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Good luck!

Bill and Cheryl

Dr. Dan
05-01-2003, 12:09 AM
:cool: Thanks for the response guys....Brian we will definitely be at the Dustoff,1000 Isles & Winnie and the Fall Picnic....also a couple others in between...what a life! wink
33 Daytona...I love your boat...I was in it,prior to your purchase...this was the Daytona my father in law looked at and he discovered...he needed even some more serious space....that is a clean ride for sure, good luck with it! I will continue to check these models out...I have heard good things overall about the 28 and 33(and of course the 26 Frank!)it's enough to make me lose my hair... eek! wait a minute,what the?.... :D ...Doc

33 Daytona
05-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks Dr. Dan, were hoping to get it in the water for te first time this saturday (of course I drove it when I flew out to look at it 6 weeks ago or so) but the first time for the family

Good luck :) with your decision, It just all depends on how you will be using your boat, I guess. Us we needed more cuddy space that the zxo because we spent many nights on the boat and had no need for the extra seats in an open nose.

Air 22
05-01-2003, 09:30 PM
DOC...You gonna learn how da fish man? :rolleyes:
I gots one of dem dare sting-ray boats and luv to joins ya on your new toy:D Gots me a fissin pole too! wink

Shanghied Again
05-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Doc, Donzi makes such a solid 26,28,33 and 38 That you can't miss with anyone of them,
I can't wait until they come out with the new 33-34 its on the drawing board (Maybe my next boat)
:D

daboys
05-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Doc,
I am a new owner of the ZXO with twin 5.7 ltr engine. I don't have much to compare with but for my money the boat and twin setup is the cats meow. The boat easily handles rough seas and cruises at 40 without any effort - top speed is somewhere around 65mph and very stable at the top end. Only complaint I have is it is hard to keep it on plane under 30 - not much to complain about....

HeavyP
05-02-2003, 12:25 PM
I have a 2000 28ZX with twin Scorpions. I am very pleased with the boat and the performance.

My wife and I are interested in moving up and considering putting this boat up for sale, but we do like the twin setup.

Shanghied Again
05-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Heavy B contact me and let me know what you want and pics I may have someone that would be interested. I tried to sell him a Brand New one and the price was great but still out of his area. He loves the Scorpion.
Frank
FTCivitano@comcast.net

fasttrucker
05-03-2003, 08:34 PM
My 502 single 28zx is almost ready. With the performance upgrades to the motor she should be at 500hp.Ill post after the first run.If you can afford it i would go to a bigger boat like a 33.

HeavyP
05-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Frank,

I sent you an email. Not sure you got it. If so, was the price an issue?

Greg