PDA

View Full Version : Child restraints..

TuxedoPk
04-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Has anyone installed, or seen good seat restraints for children?

I am concerned about taking out my nephews (6,10 & 11) in my X18... Perhaps more concerned about their mother not allowing them to go out with out them.

ToonaFish
04-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Duct tape works for me...

TuxedoPk
04-29-2003, 04:10 AM
On my sister or on my nephews?

florida gator
04-29-2003, 02:31 PM
TuxedoPk:
On my sister or on my nephews? Sister :D Plus, I agree with the Poodle. If anything happens they are better being thrown than restrained.

TuxedoPk
04-29-2003, 04:19 PM
I appreciate your feedback that it is better to be thrown. My biggest concern is the 6 year old whose independent streak could very well lead him to get up while in motion... Canoeing was a nightmare.

Aside from good life jackets, assuming there is not a second adult in the boat, what would be the youngest child that you would allow to ride in the back seat?

Silver Streak
04-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Tux,

I raised The Ashley around the lake. She was born at the end of August and was wearing a life jacket and boating with us the following May. From the very first, I was strict about the "rules", the principle one of which was that anyone under the age of 12 was required to wear their "boat coat" when near the water, followed closely by no standing in a boat when the motor was running. (Sometimes looked like musical chairs when the motor was started). She and her friends were not allowed on the ramp going down to the dock if they weren't "wearing". No exceptions, ever! Anyone caught breaking the rules was banned from the water for a minimum of 24 hours on first offense. Rarely was there a second. The rules were also accepted and enforced by the parents of her lake friends. The kids knew that we were all very serious about safety and accepted. They liked the lake and boating enough not to argue very loudly.

Back then, there were 6 or 8 couples with a total of 15-18 kids, all about the same age, with whom we spent time at the lake. Thank goodness we never had a serious accident or problem.

Start them off young, set the boating rules and then enforce them vigorously. You'll be glad you did.

Rick

The Ashley has said that the rule about having to learn every song the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean ever recorded and then sing them loudly (accompanying the 8 track) when riding in my boat was embarrassing to her and maybe just a little over the top. Maybe so, but I seem to remember always having a boat full of singing kids.

She should thank me. Never can tell when knowing the lyrics to such classics as Surfing Safari, Honolulu Lulu or even Surf City might come in handy to a young, single woman living in Boston. Crazy Horse could call her if he ever forms a retro 60's surf band! She already knows all the words!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-29-2003, 07:13 PM
In my particular type of boat racing there is a coming mandate, beginning in 2004, to have drivers strapped into their boats inside reinforced cockpits and canopies.
I am QUITTING racing when this happens. Even with the rescue squads and divers on site, I AM NOT STRAPPING MYSELF INTO A BOAT.

How can I put this? :rolleyes: Hmmm.....

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER STRAP A CHILD INTO A BOAT!!!......EVER!

Yeah, I think that pretty much says it.

FR :p

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-29-2003, 07:16 PM
........EVER!

Air 22
04-29-2003, 10:13 PM
PFD's are the only way wink .. My two girls love the DONZI ages 4 & 5 and always say.."go fast Daddy" but they ALWAYS have on the correct PFD"s Coast Guard Regulatuion...be'in an ol Coasty myself....SAFTEY FIRST!...not to mention its required by law!! :D