PDA

View Full Version : TRS Transmission part 2

Ed Donnelly
04-28-2003, 04:54 PM
I guess a bit more info would help.Merc trans MCM-B ser.# 09346 again thanks in advance...Ed

MOP
04-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Any chance of swapping it out for something thats easier to get parts for. I think there was a post last year about another tranny that fit.

smoothie
04-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Ed,you may want to give these guys a call. speedmasters (http://www.speedmasters-inc.com/)

McGary911
04-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Seems eventually all the old Merc II transmissions out there will break after a while. I hear Borg
Warner has one that's an exact match, but stronger.

Rode the boat today, and the Merc II is still intact.

MR MAGOO
04-29-2003, 02:30 PM
I`ve had several boats with the merctrans. If it just needs to be freshened up, it can be done by almost any tranny shop. Most of the consumable parts are stock Ford items. I think it used either C6 or FMX clutches. The weak link in the tranny is the front pump gear, but that is only a problem if you put big hp to it

smoothie
04-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Heres some food for thought on the pump gear...

Quote:

I have a theory on why the pump gear splits. We see the same thing on the bigger trannies occasionally and I believe it is due to the input shaft twisting. This causes the key to skew at an angle, and with very little clearance between the key and the slot in the gear this force tries to expand the gear, which then promptly snaps. We take a few thousandths off the key where the gear rides.

BigGrizzly
04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
I'll start at the back first. The oil pump gear usully splits because someone replaces the engine and doesn't replace the piolot bearing in the cranl. The borg doesn't have one the Merc trans does. Replacig the trans with a borg means - for the 10/17 the engine must be moved forwatd 5 1/2 inches and for the 10/18 it needs 11 1/2 inches. As for the cluch Huber marine- the best in the business and a genuine nice guy has a bolt in 7 plate cluch. The woman who answers the phone knowes more about trans than anyone on this board, she is also known as Mrs Tom Huber and builds trans when they are busy. I also delt with the other guy in florida and that will be the last time for him. He knowes the answers but won't give it unless he is selling it! My trans is working well at this point but it only has 89 hours on it after I ficed it after Cumberland. Truth is I did it myself with the help od Mrs Huber and a friend with a tol or two from Merc. I also have a complet borg back up which is not for sale. I will keep the MercII for as long as I can. Last week I turned down a bravo swap because I think this is a better unit. Truth Merc changed because it cost twice as much to make a trs as a bravo. Ed call if yu need mor info