PDA

View Full Version : I must be dumb.....I cannot even put plug wires in right

HyperDonzi
04-27-2003, 07:01 PM
So, we drop the boat in.....After repainting bottom and drive, new plugs and plug wires, and amp. I get out there today, Try to take off, thing is floored and doing 3100RPM. I was upset and said some mean things to the old 4.3....Limped back to the dock, Lift up the hatch, maybe its something simple even I would know....Dad takes a look, dosent see anything either. So we check the plug wires. When I put them on, I guess my brain was on another planet. The distributor cap has the big cylinder numbers, than the little numbers (of who knows what) Anyway, I put the wires on the small numbers. Changed them to big numbers, went out and rang out 5000RPM Last year I was only hitting 44-4500, so a 600rpm gain for 30$, not bad

Sam
04-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the club, it happens to all of us sooner or later.

Sam wink

Rootsy
04-27-2003, 07:23 PM
the small numbers on the cap are for a reverse rotation motor.. the large numbers are for a standard rotation... :)

can't say as though i've ever wired a cap backward.. naaaaah not ME... heck i've never even put em on the wrong side fo the motor have i?? NOOOO WAY... :rolleyes:

yep.. it happens to everyone at some point...

Air 22
04-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Hype..as a fail safe next time... try what I did my first experience changing plugs and wires. Takes longer but do ONE at a time...plug...then wire....plug then wire. This keeps you from forgetting which wire went where? :rolleyes: As long as you can read :D You shouldn't have a problem... wink

MOP
04-27-2003, 08:31 PM
I've blown a blue flame or two!

McGary911
04-27-2003, 08:43 PM
When I bought my big boat a few years ago, the port motor didnt have all the power it should have. Closer inspection showed that the plug wires were on wrong. Previous owner must have yanked off all the wires, then used the other motor as a guide. I pulled a plug on #1 got it to TDC and went from there. I think i doubled the horsepower wink

Previous owner should have taken Air22's advice....Or drank substantially less beer.....

boldts
04-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Been there... Done that.... Last year after AOTH II and having a cracked coil, I figure let's give her a freshin up. New cap, rotor, plugs, and wires along with the new coil. I followed the numbers on the cap also. The wrong numbers that is! Waited 5 weeks for a dealer to finally get the boat in their shop. When they told me what the problem was, I tucked my tail between the legs and said "Where do I pay my bill?" :D

Rootsy
04-27-2003, 09:28 PM
OR you could just get some nifty MSD plug wire identifier rings... go around the plug wire and tell you which cylinder they go to... :D