PDA

View Full Version : Stainless heat exchangers BTU

Ralph Savarese
04-27-2003, 05:41 PM
My brother in law has avalability on getting some really good stainless heat exchangers that come in various BTU sizes. Does any body out there know what BTU size is needed to cool a small block Chevy

boatnut
04-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Good question Ralph, I would call one of the tech support/engineer guys at Mercruiser or Merc Racing (or any other company that marines engines) they probably know that spec very well and their answer would have the flow of the blocks circulation (water pump) properly considered. Ed

BigGrizzly
04-27-2003, 06:30 PM
The thermal engineer no longer is employed at Merc. He now contracts for then in Stillwater Ok. He has his own company called Performance product Techknology and his name is Andy Logan.
I walked away from stainless because if poor heat disapation. They are lighter than bronze and more expensive, Inovation marine sells them to the Military. Most of theirs are of old technology. To answer your question is the size on a new Full Flow system should be about 17 inches long and 4 inches in diameater. In an old 3 pass system your looking at twice the size. Call Andy at 405-533-3812.

MOP
04-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Quite a few of the Taiwan boat have have stuff like that, you can't rely on its own zinc the S/S coolers need a good electrical bond to the engine other than that they are fine and look way cool polished.

Ralph Savarese
04-27-2003, 07:35 PM
I can get up to 1M BTU.
I know that is way to big. With the Volvo set up I already have the sea water and curculation problem solved.
Ralph

MOP
04-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Love to see some pic's!