PDA

View Full Version : Tandem or single for the 16' ?

David Ochs
04-27-2003, 02:47 PM
My '69-16' and it's trailer have been partners their entire life. I really like the trailer, it is a single axle with catwalks on both sides. For peace of mind I want to replace the axle primarily because the bearing seal backplates are unavailable(at least I can't find them). The other reason is just because it's so old I'm afraid one day it may just go sneakers'-up.
The cost with brakes and such may have me looking for a new trailer all together.
Would it be overkill to go to a tandem trailer, it sure would be nice to be able to load a bunch of stuff in the boat when going over the road and not worry about the weight.
Never had brakes on this puppy either, regardless of whether I replace axle or go new, I definately want brakes. I like the idea of using electric ones(no salt). Discs would be great but I've never known of any that would work electrically. Any comments please.

Sam
04-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Personally I think a tandem would be over kill for a sixteen. I have mine on a single axle Eagle and have no complaints, although brakes would be nice at times.

Sam

MOP
04-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I snagged a deal on a galvanized 3,150lbs trailer for my 16, its the best thing I've done in awhile. I did not need it, my old trailer was in real good shape, sold it to Art one of our members he is running it on some long distance stuff. The one I got was 4 years old and only wet two times in near new shape. I got it for free just to dump the guys wood YACHT! Cost me $375 at the dump plus alot of tugging, smashing etc. 3 or 4 days of dropping the supports down, moving the axle and getting bunks right it fit the 16 like a glove and tows like no tomorrow.

boldts
04-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Since you don't have the salt water problem, I'll recommend a company that helps us with AOTH. It's a very high quality trailer built in the USA by Americans. Check: Prestige Custom Trailers (http://www.prestigetrailers.com) Your Donzi will have all the support it will ever need with this bunk design. As far as a single or double axle? Do you want to spend the extra dollars for a second axle? I too think it would be over-kill for a 16, but I highly recommend brakes on 1 of the axles no matter which you decide on. Also, look at your travel plans. If you get a flat on a dual, or loose a bearing, the extra axle could be very beneficial. Good luck and show us a picture of what you finally choose to buy.

Rootsy
04-27-2003, 09:52 PM
i have the same trailer as Sam does under his 16. my boat goes 2400 on the nose with half a tank of gas, the typical stuff (life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchor, etc) and a slightly lightened 350 chevy. the gross weight was 3200 with 300 lbs of that as tongue weight. it is easy to tow and doesn't wander... BUT i must say that if you blow a tire it sucks.. so be sure you have a spare! that extra axle is nice if you lose a tire.. you still have 3 more and can limp somewhere... i have no breaks and i have no issue stopping but you can definitely tell it is there... so brakes would be a nice addition!

David Ochs
04-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks Scott, I looked at the Prestige website. They look to be very nice. I'm going to talk to them. The more I think about it, I like the peace of mind having another axle.

BERTRAM BOY
04-28-2003, 02:18 PM
David,
Here's a pic of my 16 on a tandem.....
I hope this helps.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cwind14.jpg

mattyboy
04-28-2003, 02:32 PM
I like Cliff use a tandem it gives me more piece of mind on long hauls it tracks true, loads great boat centers itself, it is a performance custom made for the boat out of lk george.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth60.jpg
only down side would be salt cause it is a steel painted trailer( like my boat will see salt while I owe it) and i pull it with a lowly minivan

Matt

boatnut
04-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Dave, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in to mention another consideration. I have both single and tandem axle trailers and the big advantage of singles are the ease of maneuvering them by hand, in a garage, to align to the tow vehicle, etc. Tandems are almost impossible to pivot once they are not attached to a tow vehicle. I suggest you stay with a single axle trailer and just ensure you have axle and tire ratings that exceed the weight you will haul. Keep the bearings packed and you will have no problems. I have owned my 18 classic since 1973 and it has always been on single axle trailers. Added benefit: only two bearings to pack!! Ed

BERTRAM BOY
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Boatnut,
I agree with just about everything that you've said regarding maneuverability. However, if you are towing long distances, it's nice to have that "extra insurance". depending on what your tow vehicle is, towing at 70 isn't a problem......I guess it boils down to a matter of preference.......
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Ranman
04-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Although the statements about maneuvering by hand are somewhat correct, I feel that the maneuverability benefit of a single is by far outweighed by the benefits of having a tandem trailer. Yes, a single axle is easier to move, but a tandem is not impossible. I move my tandem by hand quite often. Though I don't make tight 90's with it by hand (nor would I want to try), I am able to maneuver the tandem around the drive much easier than I thought.

As far as towing and long distances go the tandem setup towes head and shoulders above the single axle Eagle I used to have.

Yes, you have two sets of everything to service, but it's no big deal really. Think of this. With a single all the "package" weight is transferred to two tires and bearing assembly's. In the case of a 3000lb boat, each tire and bearing assembly must carry 1500lbs. On a tandem it's only 750lbs per wheel. Maybe it's overkill, but each wheel has to do a lot less work and in my eyes requires less service (or service interval). I also like to tow fast and that ain't gonna happen with a single. My tandem is comfortable at 80mph mile after mile. wink I wouldn't even attempt that on a single.

Lastly, if you lose a tire on a single, watch out! This situation can get scary. With a tandem, it's not so much of an issue.

When I first got into boating, I used to think single was the way to go, then I got a tandem and will never go back. Besides, the donzis look so good on those pretty tandem trailers. :D :D

Formula Jr
04-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I think it depends on the distances and speeds you will be towing and what the tow-er is: Both unknowns at this point.

The price break of a duel axle and a single isn't that big. It depends on projected use. On long distance hauling; when a single axle goes bad, it can be really bad. But if you're only going a few miles to the launch at slow speeds, a single has advantages over a tandem. I had lots of flats on singles, and the trailer didn't get too wiggy - a hub faulure though, IS wiggy.

We have to know the projected use.

David Ochs
04-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the pictures. Sorry to the single axle guys, but I'm convinced that tandem is the way to go. I don't care if I'm going five miles or a hundred, when something goes south we might as well be a thousand miles from home. I have several trailers in my landscape business and there is no question that the tandem ones track the best.
Tomorrow I am hauling the boat and trailer to one of the best custom shop in San Diego. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Thanks again for all the great input, you all have good opinions.

boatnut
05-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Good decision. You did the research and the results will be good for you. However, I can't help but comment on your "tracking" comments on single vs tandem. Assuming a trailer is built properly (axle alignment is proper), tracking is most influenced by weight distribution. Not enough weight forward (tongue weight) and wandering will be noticed especially in conditions when the trailer is trying to push the tow vehicle. This is true of single or tandem, tandem can hide minor violations of weight distribution better than singles will. For the same reason, gross violations and certain conditions will result in very violent reactions from tandem trailers (when their natural inclination to track is finally overcome). This has resulted in some roll overs -- usually a single will give you lots of warning before this happens. Boats are fairly consistent in weight and when set up on trailers properly will track well -- but ensure you have tongue weight proportional to trailer weight even on a tandem or someday a high-speed maneuver will get you. And be especially careful on trailers with variable loads, single or tandem. Ed

David Ochs
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Good point Ed regarding weight distribution. Learned hard lesson years ago with a small(poorly loaded) trailer behind a Jeep. I almost rolled going only 30mph.
It looks like I'll be keeping the old single axle trailer for now. I went to see the experts today. The cost of a new tandem trailer is out of the question for my old boat. They will install a new 3700# axle and springs with electric brakes for under $700-. The guy surprised me and complimented the old trailer, he figured it was custom made and thought it was in great shape for its age.
So as much as I'd like to have a tandem it aint happnin' now.

turbo2256
05-02-2003, 10:22 AM
I looked into tandem axle trailers ... actually for that 16' blue Donzi in above pic ... hey guys its me ... Anyway a trailer mfg here was mostly concerned about spring rates being so much higher on the tandem ones it could beat the bottom out of a boat. Also he had things to say about not having support under the transom.