PDA

View Full Version : help blackhawk drive problem

DAULEY
04-27-2003, 08:47 AM
need help was out on boat yesterday after running about an hour went to put in gear and heard a loud bang come from drive and it would not go anywhere didnot engage in forward or reverse any advice on what could be wrong help

Greg Maier
04-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Probably a broken upper gear. Have a mechanic look at it or open it up yourself if you have the tools. Don't try to run it again because you risk breaking the case, and those are impossible to find.

DAULEY
04-27-2003, 11:28 AM
thanks greg sound expensive if its not that any other ideas also what brand ext steering should i install
THANKS BOB

DAULEY
04-27-2003, 11:28 AM
thanks greg sound expensive if its not that any other ideas also what brand ext steering should i install
THANKS BOB

Bad-Tat
04-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Bob,
The only ext steering that will fit properly (line up with the gimbal) is the Mayfair space saver. Just finished installing mine. Haven't bled it yet as was installing closed cooling system as well. What a plumbing nightmare!!! http://www.donzi.net/photos/bad_tat_3.jpg

FASTEDDIE
04-27-2003, 05:18 PM
The top of the gear which is brass(foward or reverse) may have seperated from the lower shaft part. This upper brass part then drops and then blocks you from getting into gear.The upper brass piece is pressed on and Mercury can not repair. Also they now are in to new updated gears for the Blackhawk and do not stock the older gears. Foward and reverse gears are $1550.00. This does not include shipping ,shims or shifting forks. Make sure you order the shims and forks with the new gears or you will pay shipping twice.Mercury does not know enough to advise you to order shims or forks because they are not listed as part of a gear update kit in their computer.Labor charges must be added to get your total.Good Luck. eek!

Indyblackhawk
04-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Bob,

I just finished repairing my blackhawk. Blew the upper vertical shaft. Same as what you are describing, I put the drive into gear and bang!! The overall damage was not to difficult to repair.

Andy