PDA

View Full Version : Silent Choice VS. Silencer tips.........

Stix Magill
09-17-2001, 09:25 AM
I would like everyone's feedback on this topic. I am concidering silencer tips or Silent Choice exhaust for my Minx. I assume that the tips are "bolt on" and the Silent choice is more complicated. The problem is, I have never heard them and I don't know how they work! Wil the performance suffer? Will my engine (350 mag)need to be adjusted? Am I missing something?
Thanks for your help!

Stix Magill http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donzifast.jpg

Dvo
09-24-2001, 10:02 PM
Stix,

I have a factory installed Corsa Silent Choice exhaust system that uses an electro-
magnetic switch to re-direct the exhaust
either through the transom, or down through
the sterndrive. The transom outlets are
are jacketed with rubber backwash flap protectors, which get warm but not hot enough to quickly burn someone. They reduce the exhaust sound down about 20% to a deep rumble without a straight exhaust crack, even at high RPM. This has a great high performance presence without piercing your eardrums, like a tuned automotive headers with a baffle, or Corvette chambered exhaust sidepipes.

Switch the exhaust to silent and you are quiet as any conventional thru-hub sterndrive exhaust with some high speed penalty. The silent mode is great to
have when your cruising back creeks, seeking
a low (it wasn't me) profile with the marine
police, trying to enjoy the CD system, talking with someone, or docking without drawing un-necessary attention.

A fulltime silencer will save you from some of the racket created by a straight exhaust system. Personally, I like having the choice, it seems to fit the boat's classic character - understated power.

Regards,

Joe

Tomahawk
09-24-2001, 10:13 PM
I have Silent Choice and like it a lot. It is certainly more expensive and involved to install and, for some reason, is not legal in some places. Check with Emmo on legality of switchable exhaust in Alabama before you decide.

Moody Blu'
09-25-2001, 01:35 AM
Also adds a little weight. :rolleyes: