PDA

View Full Version : Donzis around the Orlando area.

Tidbart
01-07-2002, 02:33 PM
I am moving to Orlando this month. Need advice on where to get the 18 Classic wet. I don't know anything about the lakes and waterways. Is Lake Apopka O.K? I will trailer if necessary or would like some rack storage by a lake. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any Donzi clubs in Fla. If I remember correctly, Mike Miller mentioned that there may be on forming but I don't remember where. Thanks.

CrackerJack
01-07-2002, 05:26 PM
There are alot of lakes in this general area.
Lake Apopka is a dead lake. There has been plans
to try and restore it, but nothing yet. Like
Scott said Dora and Eustis are close by. I live
near Lake Monroe that runs with the St. Johns
river north. It is a slow ride for the first part
until you get to lake George. Then it really gets
nice. There is several places on Lake Monroe
for storage. Monroe is about 30min. from Orlando
depending on traffic. E-mail me when up get down
be glad to help. Jack.

Crazy Horse
01-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Tidbit, Hate to see you moving south. We've had some great Lake Winni times. Good luck to you and Ranya (one terrific Donzi Girl). See you in FL.
John & Trish

Jamesbon
01-07-2002, 07:32 PM
I like the Butler Chain of Lakes, it's right in the heart of Orlando, the Windermere area. Deep clear water. You'll need your trim and tilt at the ramp, it's only a few feet deep.

Nate

Donzigo
01-07-2002, 07:59 PM
I used to live on a houseboat at Lake Monroe. Nice lake and nice river to the north towards Hontoon Island etc. Lake Butleris nice. Lake Apopka is not so nice, as are Lake Eustis and Harris. Orlando is close to east and west coasts, so you'll want to come over to where Jamesbon and myself, (Donzigo) live here in St. Pete. Give me a call. Maybe you would like to just come over and ride the Z-33, first, to look around. It would be a pleasure to show you Donzi boating in this area. I have decided that Lake Winni is going to be my next place to visit up north. Welcome to Florida.

Gearhead99
01-08-2002, 08:34 PM
I think that you'll find the Harris chain of lakes very good. They are the Mt Dora area chain of lakes. They are very large lakes and you can run as hard as you want, no manatee area's.

The St. Johns river and Lake Monroe use to be the place to go. But now the idle zones have been extended for something like 40 miles. I mean it is slow going. Once you enter Lake George, big lake, you can run north pretty good. The manatee huggers have really killed the boat traffic on the southern part of the St. Johns.

The Butler chain is a very nice chain of lakes. On the west side of Orlando. Town called Windermere. Very exclusive and expensive houses. Lots of sports figures live there. The connecting canals are narrow and shallow. But are passable. Nice clear, clean lakes though. Only problem is...only one ramp, hard to use and one very small parking lot that is quite a hike from the ramp. This is their way of keeping the public off the lakes. Heck, they had the college rowing teams thrown off from practicing there, cause they were too loud giving the rowing orders!!!!

What part of town are you moving too?? Let me know.

Welcome, take care..

Tidbart
01-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the help with Orlando, great info. I just got back from there and found a place to live in Kissimmee, just south of the airport. I'll get in touch with you guys after I get settled. Looking forward to meeting some new Donzi owners. That doesn't mean I necessarily want to leave the other ones I've met behind. Thanks again.

Looped
01-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Bob,
Did you make it to the Race Rock Café down there and check out all of the cool stuff? The last time I was there was the 97 Daytona 500 and a manager was telling me that it took them 2 or 3 days to squeak in the Hydroplane boat that they have mounted sideways on the wall. I think they said that they only had 2 inches to spare to bring it in. The 18-wheelers in the front where actually placed there first and then they built the front part of the building.

Craig

Tidbart
03-13-2002, 07:27 AM
Made it!! Got settled in to the new house and job and am just about ready to get the boat going. Any gatherings coming up in Fla?? I found out that I have private access to the Butler chain of lakes. Not a bad perk.
Donzigo, I would like to take you up on your offer of seeing the St. Pete area sometime. Let me know. Seadogs, would like to meet you guys also. Keep me posted.

Dr. Dan
03-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Congrats on the new Digs! wink Hope to see you two at this years Owners Rendevous! Remember those Seadogs are a unique crew! "Bound Together Like a Herd of Cats" - "Drinkers with a Boating Problem?" :p I think you guys will fit right in! :D Good Luck...Doc

Kent Perroux
03-13-2002, 02:21 PM
St. Cloud, East Lake Toho. Excellent for running.
April will be first APBA Offshore race.

Kissimmee - Do not put in there unless you want an excuse for a new engine. Too much grass.

Butler Chain. I live on this chain, beautiful, excellent for skiing, swimming, etc, water too low right now, but if you can get in, I would walk the boat between the channels. That is the reason I just rebuilt my engine.

Kent