PDA

View Full Version : Thomas in Sweden has a "gold mine" of info.

oldLenny
11-04-2002, 08:27 PM
I have opened up about 20 of the pics sent to me by Thomas. They are all flawless in the scanning, picture quality, and there is stuff there that I have NEVER seen anywhere else. Too busy at the moment to post the pics (Scot should do it anyway) no need for two sets, but some of the stuff blows my mind. Here below, I didn't know Donzi offered a Turbo-charged engine in their boats. 19' Hornet to be exact. Also, there is a pile of brochures on the Donzi Dink series of boats, Donzi Baby and many more pieces of literature that do not exist on this web-sit... yet! :D

Anyone seen this one before?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen501.jpg

THANK YOU THOMAS RONNBERG!

Scott Pearson
11-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Lenny,
Yes Donzi did make a Turbo Charged option. The bench seat Hornet that I picked up is one of them. The only other one besides mine that we know about is Mike Devlins in New York.

Tom was given a chance to get the one that I picked up but it seems he never contacted the person that I bought it from after its was promised to him. His lose,my gain. Rich, the old owner was glad it was staying in the US.

(NJ)Scott

oldLenny
11-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Cool, I would guess that I now have about 100 pics in my "inbox", interesting pics of the CriterionII, GT21, Baby and Dink boats, Spitfire and X-18. Scot Van A needs to get these.

ALLAN BROWN
11-05-2002, 07:40 AM
That's me in the middle, Aronow driving, and Dave Stirrat riding. It went 70 mph first crack out of the box!

RH
11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
When I bought the Aronow book and saw that picture, I vowed to someday own a Hornet. Unfortuneately mine is not a bench seat, but still cool none the less. Great picture Brownie, can you tell me your thoughts on the Hornet?
RH

ALLAN BROWN
11-05-2002, 01:08 PM
The 1965 Hornet with a 327 turbo Daytona ran 70 right out of the box. We were surprised at the speed. At the time, it was the fastest stock boat in the world (Inboard) (Luxury). It would eat your lunch in a 2 or 3 foot chop at about 45 degrees. However, we built one for the Navy as a missile drone at Point Mugu, Ca. It was remote controlled, and really wild. I don't think they ever hit the darned thing, at least 20 years later. Before I designed the current rudder, it didn't handle too well, and the extra required rudder angle made it a little unstable. I had the first one, "Donzi Daddy" #69. I sold it to a guy who insisted that I ride with him in his first race. Bear in mind that we didn't have trimtabs in those days. I took about five minutes to ram the ballast tank full. When I told him to fill the ballast tank, he gave it a squirt for a few seconds. All the controls were on his side. We were still arguing when we hit first 6 foot swell.............

smoothie
11-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Great material,the printer is running,keep em coming cool!

GEOO
11-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Nice Pics. I would love to get a copy. And have Brownie write a note about it!!!

Brownie, great stories!!! Was there any thing to hold on to in the middle??

BIG BAD DONZI
11-06-2002, 06:18 PM
I think the greatest memory I have of the original Green Hornet was that of one roaring down the canal in back of our home in Bay Harbor in 64-65. She pulls into the dock and out steps Jim Kimberly , earing and all and then here comes 16 year old Jackie in her lilttle bikini. She was tan and only about 16-17 and I was 14. What a figure! - and what a boat. I thought the bench seat Hornet was something special from the first time I saw one in the factory but after that afternoon, it definitely became my favorite Donzi of all.