PDA

View Full Version : New 22-Classic ...... More

Mark Albers
07-22-2002, 11:41 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnzss11.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnzss12.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dnzss13.jpg

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

Ranman
07-23-2002, 07:57 AM
Not too crazy about the "wind flaps" on the windshield, but like all the other updates.

blackhawk
07-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Gauges are bad as hell! I still think the winshield is just plain ugly.

Chummy
07-23-2002, 09:43 AM
Ilike it!! :D .......except the windshield eek!

McGary911
07-23-2002, 11:17 AM
It looks like the wind deflectors and the windshield are a 1 pc unit. I understand why theyre there, but it would be nice if they were removable, as they really interrupt the lines of the boat. That way you can pop them on or off depending on your mood. Gauges are way cool.....

EricG
07-23-2002, 11:24 AM
I like the Gauges...and the windshield looks like the Early 22 Classic's - it's OK. The Split Stripe is an interesting change.....

When did Donzi switch from the Momo to the Grant GT steering wheels?

EG

Last Tango
07-23-2002, 12:41 PM
FYI - According to Bryant, new Classics will all eventually have the individually drilled holes for the gauges. They were less than thrilled with the quality and consistancy of the pre-wired and fitted gauge panels, and will be hand-wiring the gauges in-house with better wire and connectors. The 16 and 18 may still get the one piece gauge panels for a while, but basically they are going in-house for that entire process. It also gives them total control over the color choices for the faces and bezels. The bigger boats series have custom and personalized gauge faces (like your sponsors' logo for the racers and pro-fishermen).
There were several 22 Classics on the line this past weekend, and all had the individually drilled holes for the gauges for monster gauges. Bryant says the split deck stripe seen in these pictures is just for the 22's right now. The 16 and 22 Classic on display had the current solid two-color stripe. The 22 had the new stripe. No one knows for sure if the new HP-3 525hp 8.1 will fit in the back of the 22 and there are no current plans to find out. The 470HP 500EFI Special Edition 22 was not discussed (nobody asked if they were still making them and they didn't mention it).
Sunday morning they were still putting the finishing touches on a 33ZX that sported a pair of the HP-3 motors with polished full tube headers. Oh...My...Gawd! Stunning.
My favorite part of the tour was the time we spent in the design offices. We got to see all the full color sketches and graphics ideas of past, present, future, and imaginary Donzi's (the Shore Patrol Classic 22 with 675SC motor and joystick-controlled 50 Cal machine gun on the fore deck, a picture of which is in one of the other threads on this trip). All the designs were beautiful but my eye stuck hard on the design concept for the 34ZSC - Oh, yeah, Baby!

Last Tango
07-23-2002, 12:56 PM
I forgot to mention that the windshield on the 22 is unique to that one size. The 16 and 18 windshields are the same as last year. The reason for the switch on the 22 is the builder/supplier for the 22 windshields is no longer making them - he retired. The smoked plexy is a one-piece design. The sunvisor-like lips are less obvious in person. However, you don't have a choice. I felt uneasy that the center of the windshield was not supported in any way but its own engineering. I worry that the myriad of folks aboard would eventually put their full body weight on the top of the windshield (docking, fueling, standing up from the sitting position up front) and either crack or collapse the piece. It is a very inviting hand-grab. Looked good despite that. Particularly reminded me of the Minx, which I also like - if that puts it in perspective for you.

Staffan Berg
07-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Mark - Last Tango
What is "HP-3 525hp 8.1"
Is this a new engine. Tell me more.

blackhawk
07-23-2002, 03:01 PM
The HP3 8100 is a GM Vortec engine. I think it is being used in several superv light boats.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/motorsports/apba/index.htm

Last Tango
07-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Staffan,
Also, go to www.apba-offshore.com (http://www.apba-offshore.com) to the Latest News articles at the bottom, specifically the two dated 7/10 and 6/20.

Dalelama
07-23-2002, 03:13 PM
I kinda like the lips on the windshield.... I think the Criterion had that feature available... it's actually quite practical... you dont really notice it, but they deflect a whole lotta air... wish I had 'em on the Minx... and the screen is alot like mine... and I'm always paranoid about someone standing / leaning / jumping / stepping on the windshield... I always say "DONT TOUCH ANYTHING BLACK!!" I dunno if I'd be able to get it replaced without giving up some body part in trade!

Sagbay32
07-23-2002, 04:58 PM
The windshield looks just like the one I saw on a 1986 22. I kinda liked it myself.

tmdog
07-23-2002, 05:33 PM
Wondering if price for the basic 22' will stay the same? Anyone know? I like the new model. Is the hull stepped?

mattyboy
07-23-2002, 05:51 PM
It can have a hook,strake,rocker,sharp or rounded keel, BUT NO STEPS IN A CLASSIC then it's a ZBOAT!!!!!! :D

neat looking boat not a windshield kinda guy

Matt

boldts
07-23-2002, 09:03 PM
Just my .02 worth. Windshield is OK, but I'm a chrome, stainless steel kind of person myself. When you look at a hot rod, you'll look at the one with the most chrome before a regular painted rod. Even if the factory had to make them there self, keep the stainless windshield frame.

The monster gauges are OK, but the Gaffrig 1's are more accurate and a much better gauge. Also, where did that lay-out come from? Boring in my opinion and I think could have been laid out more in the manor of importance. When running, I want to see my Oil Pressure, Engine Water Temp., Tach, then the rest can come in any order the factory wants to put them in. Also, why not place the Tach and Speedo in the middle of the other gauges. Handling a 70 MPH boat you need to be able to make quick glances at your gauges as you are reading the water in the distance.

Stripes on the seats? One of the reasons I wanted a Special Edition with-out the SE graphics and interior. Give me a nice white cool place to sit.

The trim tabs with dual hydraulic cylinders again are OK, but is Fountain, Cigarette, Superboat, Sonic, Hustler, etc. using them? K-Planes should be the standard for the price being paid!

Hey, like everyone else in the USA and other countries, I have a different opinion than the rest. I'm also an older in age Classic owner for the past 18 years now so the only changes I favor would be quality in workmanship and of course, a Donzi tradition, HP in the engine compartment. A companies best selling tool is the words coming out of the product buying public. Use it to make Donzi THE performance boat name in the industry. Quality at a justified price has to be the standard!

OK, I'll probably hear it for this one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'll be the guy steppin out the back way! :)

Barry Phillips
07-24-2002, 10:04 AM
On the + side the Monster gauge package looks great, but Donzi please lose that retro Grant 3 spoke steering wheel it looks way out of place in such a cool dash. The custom Dino in the red 18 looks way better. Better yet how about the white on peuter MOMO featured on nisonger marine's web site. The MOMO would set those Monsters off nicely. And finally dual ram trim tabs, these are a nice compromise between the cheezy basic tabs and the ultra expensive mini K-planes.

Now the minus, the striped seats are not my taste, keep the plain white. Make them an option. The windshield looks cheap, and the air foils are ugly, if someone really wants them they can be found in the aftermarket. Last week I saw a Superboat Legend which looks like a 22 with a railing like the 18 and the ajustable visors mounted to the rail, It looked really good. Last but not least if you are going to split the deck strip make it wider like a GT40, better yet leave it alone, although I like the tappered deck strip on the SE. Change for change sake is not the way.

PS. I read that the windshield builder retired,is he the only guy in the world who can make a 22 Classic windscreen, give me a break. The current windshield is a work of art and really defines the 22's shape. I also do not like the euro black frame I guess I one of those old farts who likes stainless on a boat, what will that trendy black frameless windshied look like in 10 years or so?

And while I am on a roll how about pop-up cleats just ahead of windshield and pop-ups aft also. It's a pain hanging fenders on my 18, yet I do not like surface mount cleats on the front deck. I use suction cup hangers and they fall off.

I am glad to see some the changes in the quality of the hardware the gauges etc. I had to let go of a deal on a 22 this past winter and trying to get some of the things I spoke about was like pulling teeth with the dealer. Considering the price of these boats and the build time usually 3 months they can be more custom than they are. The Classic Donzis truely reflect thier owners taste please keep it that way.

SO-SLO

gjohns6896
07-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Maybe I am mistaken, but I could SWEAR I saw the price for the new 22 Classic somewhere around the $89,000 range. Mind you, that was with every option you can get along with the 502 BB that will do 78 MPH :D right out of the box...said the place where I read all about the price. Only thing is, now I can't find that place. :confused:

Oh well, too much money for me to even WORRY about. eek! eek!

Cheers,
George

Ranman
07-24-2002, 05:16 PM
I think the $89K is list for the 22SE. This includes the HP500EFI engine package at 470PSHP. I also think they sell for a bit less than that though they're still quite expensive. Just below this is your standard 22 Classic with 496MAG HO engine. The 496 has replaced the 502 which is no longer available. The base 22 Classic engine is a small block, which would be unthinkable.

Last Tango
07-24-2002, 10:26 PM
"Poodle,
Bryant talked about the 100 MPH gauge on Saturday night. He told me the gauges in the 22 demo model for the dealer show were from the SE version and they just stuffed in what they had. REAL 22 Classic will in fact come with the 80 MPH gauge.

No Classics will have a stepped hull. However for lots of big green mountains of cash, they will build you whatever you want. However, it make take a couple hulls to get it right. If that is what you think you need, get the ZX series.

Last Tango
07-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Barry Phillips,
Your comment about the old Classic 22 windshield being a work of art is absolutely true and correct...however the artist who built them for decades is now retired. Hence they must now search for a new artist...

Barry Phillips
07-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Last Tango I hope they find one. I am a designer by trade, the art I'm talking about is in the design of the windshield, actually makeing it is a matter of craftmanship. If plans are available for this piece a good craftman should be able to build it. I think part of Donzi's delemia is that the Classic's are not high volume boats. Who supplies the windshields to Colbalt or Fountain etc., is it a problem of volume? The frameless smoked windscreens on the boats in 80's, a great example is the one used on the Minx, I heard they where made in Italy. The new windshield design dose not hold a candle to it in style. I hope Donzi dose source a new vendor because I want a 22 and that windshield really turns me off. One question I do have is what is it made out of, it looks like black powder coated alluminum.

SO-SLO