PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who leaves their boats in the water for a long period of time.

HyperDonzi
11-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Yesterday, me and my dad pulled the Baja out, it is at the season dock throughout the year, earlier this year when the air temp was in the 90's, the boat would run really hot, I asumed that is was the air temp... Well, cleaning the drive, I see zebra muscles are clogging the water intake grate, so I un screw it, pull it off, and those things were packed full inside of where the grates go!! Check you water pickups!!

MOP
11-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know if this is true?? When I was up poking around the St. Lawrence i had a guy tell me that boats with the Mercathode kit seemed to get alot less Zebra mussels. Any truth?

HyperDonzi
11-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Im willing to try it, where can I get one?
What about some zinc plate to stop the zinc loss?
Ill post pics of the drive tomorrow...

Sam
11-03-2002, 07:16 PM
When I kept a boat on Lk Erie they were a big problem, nothing could stop them. Once a month you had to check and clean every nook under the water line. Here in Mich they have infested all the main water ways and many inland lakes.

Sam

Moody Blu'
11-04-2002, 08:40 AM
heh, my boat is still in the water...... :rolleyes:

jb
11-04-2002, 01:17 PM
WOW nothing you can do. If you are not using the boat frequently they will be all over the drive.
You are lucky you didnt overheat.
Not sure about the Mercathode...I have found only 5 or 6 on the top of my drive after it sat in for a week with no use and I have em(mercathode).
Dont think that helps, nor the zincs. You definately must get down and check that drive if you are going to leave it in for soooo long. I can imgine how many there were.

HyperDonzi
11-04-2002, 02:40 PM
The boat was used for around 4 mi a day, 4 times a week may-july then august was ran 5 mi a day, every day. Good excuse for boating, but I dont think that will keep the drive clean. Also, it did over heat a few times enough to where I lost 5+mph.