PDA

View Full Version : Question about winterizing

Greg Maier
11-02-2002, 07:41 AM
I have a question about winterizing. This is my first winter with a boat so I am new to the winterizing procedures. I've read where the engine needs to be fogged to prevent rust on the valvetrain and cyclinder walls. If I just started the boat every two weeks or so, would that accomplish the same effect. I realize that I will have to run fresh antifreeze through the engine every time that I run it. I plan on starting the boat, running it till it reaches operating temp and then sucking antifreeze back through the cooling system. With the non-toxic antifreeez only costing $1.30 a gallon, it really won't cost much to do this. The boat is on a lift at a private dock, so I have easy access to the boat. What do you think, would this be better for the engine than the traditional winterizing?

MOP
11-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Seems like alot of extra work, why not do the traditional winterizng. Then your worries are over till spring.

Greg Maier
11-02-2002, 08:09 AM
M.O.P.
I see your point, I was just wondering what would be better for the engine, to keep it running all winter or let it sit all winter.

mattyboy
11-02-2002, 09:17 AM
this year when my bud got his cigarette, the boat had sat in dry storage in a non heated building for 10yrs, when we turned it over without plugs you could see oil coming from the cylnders, put plugs in new battery and off she ran,

so I'm a winterize it right and don't worry about kinda guy.

now I have to practice what I preach, gonna be cold today!

TOO cussball cool! TODAY

MATT

Indyblackhawk
11-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Greg,

Be carefull with the 1.39 antifreeze!! You probably have -50. Read the back for the actual engine burste ratings. If you are in a very cold area, probably better consider -100 (more like $5.00 per gallon. I live in Indianapolis, I have -50 in for the interim. Blew blackhawk, I want to run after I finish repairs - before I put away for winter. I can email you the winterizing section of the mercruiser tech manual if you need.

Andy

Greg Maier
11-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Andy,
Sure, I would appreciate it if you send me the winterizing section from the manual. What happened to your blackhawk, what broke, the top or the bottom?

riverrat
11-03-2002, 06:17 AM
why not just drain the block, fuel cooler, & exhaust? that's what I do here. but, this is Houston & we only freeze once a year or so. I like to run mine once a month just to say I did. it makes spending all that money feel better. eek! eek!

Shanghied Again
11-03-2002, 07:42 AM
The only proplem with running your engine every two weeks is you are doing more damage then winterizing. Your starting the motor cold with no oil on the valve train every time, your not running the motor up to proper rpm and with extreme cold if you let it sit and start it every 2 weeks you stand a good chance of blowing a seal. I would Winterize the boat and get it over with.

Greg Maier
11-03-2002, 07:51 AM
Yeah, after performing a partial (not done yet, learning as I go) winterizing on Saturday, I've decided that it would not be fun to do this every couple of weeks. One more question: I've read several different ways to fog the engine. Some people say to spray fogging oil into the engine, others say to put 2 cycle oil in the fuel filter. What is the proper way for a fuel injected 502?

MOP
11-03-2002, 08:25 AM
You can get proper fogging oil at most any marine store, you want to make it smoke real heavy then kill it to get good protection. Any oils in the fuel is a waste of time, just use fuel stabilizer in the fuel.

Shanghied Again
11-03-2002, 08:29 AM
Greg, I buy the fogging spray, remove the air filter then when my antifreeze is almost empty I fog the motor through the intake until the motor cuts out.

BigGrizzly
11-03-2002, 08:59 AM
I have a closed cooling system on all my boat. I stable the fuel drain the cooler and exhaust, light fog and cap intake and exhaust. done! Now over the past 40 years the winterising has changed due to epa regs. in 1981 my manusl says drain the block then fill the block with antifreze. Now you can't do it unless you capture it before it hits the ground. The antifreze actually inhibits rust. In the old days they would pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with oil- this is a real mess when dewinterizing so I never did it. Bill Batman now hasa full closed cooling system for his Blue-Hawk. This Wensday we finished the testing on the Full Flow High Performance cooling system from Performance Product technology and only weigh 40 pounds tocool my blown 502. it works great and I'm keeping iton the engine! For you non beleivers I lost No speed and picked up some(slight) economy

Donzified
11-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Don't forget to clear the block drain holes with a small tool.Sand and silt get into my motors over the summer. I run the engine alittle with the plugs out to flush it out.

If you pay a pro to do it they will have insurance .It seams like every so many years something goofs up.

Bad-Tat
11-03-2002, 06:50 PM
The book for FI 502 says cut off fuel, 2 stroke oil in the fuel pressure pot and run until it stalls. Then you can fog the cyl through the plug holes.

MOP
11-03-2002, 06:50 PM
For you guys going to use potable anti freeze, most have little or no rust inhibtors. I think its a good idea to hunt up some and add it to the mix.

Craig
11-04-2002, 06:28 AM
Talking to a guy at a marina this week end in Western MD (can get pretty cold - not tooooo bad). He said they do about 1500 boats a year (whoa!) and they fog engine through carb til it dies, then squirt some fogging oil in each plug hole. Let's see, assuming all V8's, that's 1500x8= Yikes! Anyway they use Polaris fogging oil ($6.00/can). Winterized mine this week-end after a final spin in 30 degree temp. (Brrrr!). Got a pic off the nose of the boat showing a "ice capped" hill top in the background. Garrett County MD had a bad fall ice storm last week. The forests were messed up bad. About every 3rd or 4th tree was bent and/or snapped. Looks like a tornado path, but its solid everywhere. Wierd looking.

David Ochs
11-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Here's my two cents.
Winterize it and forget it. Starting the engine occasionally will contaminate the oil with moisture, unless you run it long enough at operating temperature. A friend that works for Pennzoil insists that is the reason short trips are hard on engines, not so much the dry starts.
One other thing is to run the engine long enough to get the fuel stabilizer from the tank to the carb.