PDA

View Full Version : OMC Impellor problems?

blackwidow
09-04-2001, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your replies about the carpet....forget my husband being on this site all of the time...........I'm pretty much addicted...I like reading what everyone has to say.
We recently have experienced a recurring problem with the water pick-up or lack thereof in our starboard engine. The past three times that we have hauled out for fuel, and dropped back in we haven't had water coming out our exhast...and hence we've experienced temp increases. The first tmie it happened, by the time I had the trailer in the water for Chris to load it seemed to fix itself. So we and everyone else our mechanic included assumed we had gotten an air lock. Then 2 weeks ago we put in for the Poker Run and again it happened and we took off the water intake hose and put a garden hose to it and it cleared it again and we were off. But it happened again on Labour Day Monday and its now pissing me off. Our mechanic is coming over tomorrow and all that any of us can think is that it is the impellor. But we do have a new impellor, but not a new housing and cover....could this be the problem. I would appreciate all input I can get. The boat is powered by twin stock 460's with King Cobra's.
Thanks...from "Break-down Alley"....BW :(

RickR
09-04-2001, 07:07 PM
I never had your problem, but during WOT runs my engine temp would climb on my 1990 King Cobra.

There is a copper tube (for seawater) that goes from the lower unit to the upper unit.

Diagnosed them problem by installing a clear vinyl hose, in line, going to the thermostat housing. If you get air bubbles (especially on plane) the problem may be with the seals on the top and bottom of the copper tube.

I separated upper and lower unit, cleaned copper tube and replaced seals (I also used Hylomar Gasket Dressing).
No more overheating.

blackwidow
09-04-2001, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info Rick. All of this help available at my fingertips almost makes me wish I had more problems :eek: NOOOO WAAAAY
Thanks again BW :cool:

RickR
09-04-2001, 09:30 PM
BW
The problems with the copper tube will not effect the pump, off plane, since the lower unit is submerged.
You may have a bad impeller or a kinked hose.

Bandit
09-06-2001, 07:19 AM
Hey Blackwidow,

I've got a 30', red/white, '89 Donzi Black Widow w/ 460's and King Cobra outdrives.

The temp runs right at 160 all the time no matter how hard I'm running it. If I've had it up running for awhile and bring it to idle then it shoots up for just a little bit.

It doesn't take much to wipe out your impeller, especially if you've been running it dry a few times. And if you're not getting H2O out the back exhaust, I'd target the impeller 1st.

Do you have any pics of the inside/out of your boat?