PDA

View Full Version : HI moody blu here, I have a question about breakin in motors...

abbe
10-31-2002, 02:32 PM
I was just told that the new vette motors are broken in with synthetic?

I highly doubt this, being that I heard this at a atv site

From what I have learned over here, almsot every motor is broken in with a dino based oil and then once broke in is switched to a synthetic.....

the guys on this site are saying the vette is broken in at the factory with synthetic.(I think I said this already just reitterating)

could someone shed some light on the subject??

big griz where you at???
mad poodle?????
forrest???? anyone else I forgot to mention?

im in sort of a argument over this...

I dont belive they would break in a motor with synthetic...

also, dont they break in all motors before they put them in the cars?

these guys keep saying how the vettes come with mobil one from the factory but, that doesnt prove its broke in with it....

someone enlighten me......
heres the link.. im on the last couple pages...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30727&perpage=15&pagenumber=7

if you notice, they put a letter up from mobil ones site..

I still dont think they break in motors with synthetic... what do you guys know about this?

HELP!

Greg K
10-31-2002, 02:50 PM
The newer engines do not necessarily need to be broken in...with better materials used, finishing processes, and quality control, it's just not necessary to do anymore.

This also applies to built engines. Depending on the care, time taken to do it right, and extra steps, no breakin is necessary either.

abbe
10-31-2002, 02:55 PM
really? how do the rings seat properly then? :confused:

MOP
10-31-2002, 03:05 PM
Hi Guy! I am sure you will get a few different views. But here is mine, I use decent non detergent oil for the first five hours. Change and go another ten hours and change again, then I never go past fifty hours on changes. I just after 57 hours and five changes have gone over to synthetic. Now ???'s Did you pack the oil pump with light grease or vasiline so it picks the oil up quick? That is one of the most important steps for a first time start ups. Also when you start it up run it up to 2000 RPM right away, stay at that RPM for at least ten minutes to ensure proper cam lobe lubrication. When you finally get it set up and in the drink dont run it hard but vary the RPM every few minutes for atleast the first two hours of operation. I don't do WOT till I have five hours on the engine and then just for short bursts, extended WOT after twenty hours. I have also heard that some do breack encines in with sythetic oil, I read a thing on how the encines are clearenced etc. But I think there is a good chance the rings will not break in properly. Try to get more feed back on that issue.

Darrell
10-31-2002, 03:06 PM
Sky B.

I check with the service manger here at the GM dealership I work at, and they come with, and recommend Mobile One synthetic.

Thanks;

P.S. He say's run different RPM's for the 1st 500 miles, just don't drive the same speed for the 1st 500 miles.

Darrell

Donzi Blackhawk
10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
Greg,

Be very careful about who you get your information from. Never break in an engine with synthetic. It takes a very long time for the rings to seat. After the break in period then switch to synthetic. Some high performance engine builders will run their engines on a dyno for about a 1/2 hour to break them in then go ahead and change the oil and filter. Once this is done they feel the engines can be run hard.

On the other hand, read the engine shop manual from Mercruiser and you will get another story. They say to vary rmp's for the first fifteen hours of operation. Never exceed 3/4 throttle or run at a particular rpm for more than five minuites. After fifteen hours, you can go to wide open throttle but never more than a minuite.

After twenty hours, do an oil and filter change and enjoy your engine at any speed.

I just finished building a 454 MAG EFI. You better believe I am following Mercruisers recommendations. Anything less goes against everything I have ever been taught.

Bryant

Greg K
10-31-2002, 03:28 PM
Like I said before..it has more to do with the prep, sizing of everything, how it's all finished, the time taken and parts used. Alot of what was done in the past has carried over still.
I agree some production engines may need the benefit of a break in period. These are not the same as race prepared engines and depending on the processes the builder uses.
My experience is with single cylinder race engines and they can be taken right from the bench, bolted on and raced.
Rings will seal, with the proper cylinder prep and finish, along with the rings honed to the cylinder and gapped right. FWIW

abbe
10-31-2002, 03:31 PM
what about NEW cars like the vette?

from what ive been reading on the other thread on the atv site they are broken in with synthetic?

that goes against what ive been taught as well.

so greg, are yuo saying you could break in a single cylinder four stroke with synthetic?

WHERES GRIZ AT?

Greg K
10-31-2002, 03:43 PM
Yes, our motors are ran with synthetics right off the bench. Fuel for fire is methanol. Much of this will be debated forever.

abbe
10-31-2002, 03:51 PM
greg how do you break the motors in? or do you use special rings?

Moody Blu'
10-31-2002, 06:04 PM
if you went to that link, someone said that the new vette motors are broken in with mobil one

and it boggled my mind.

I'm doubting what this guy said. I still am skeptical..
how the heck do the rings seat?

I just dont get it.

CDMA
10-31-2002, 06:27 PM
Poodle,

My engine guys says the same thing. And gives the EXACT same reasons. His only hard a fast rule when I bought the engines were Fram HP filters or System one and 20W-50 ( for the SBC) dino oil. Synthetic = void warranty...

Chris

I run synthtic in everything else though...very torn...

boldts
10-31-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm no expert on this subject, but I'll pass on what I've been told about synthetic oil in the engine. I was told not to run synthetic in my boat engine due to the fact that the oil does not get hot enough to keep condensation from occurring in the engine. I can't remember what the final diagnosis was on Digger's 38ZX engine, but I think he was running synthetic in his engines when he found water in the oil at AOTH II. How-ever, it was recommended highly for the Merc drive and even a speed increase can occur by it's use. wink

Scott Pearson
10-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Broque,
When did they let you out of rehab?

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
10-31-2002, 08:03 PM
hmmmm, thanks for the helpful info there scott.

mattyboy
10-31-2002, 08:46 PM
Hey Moody how ya been,
why u posting under your ladies handle???

just re-login!

buying a new Vette???
I heard the only way to break em in is to slap your empty wallet across the block!!! wink :D

Matt

Moody Blu'
10-31-2002, 10:21 PM
eww, i wouldnt subject my wallet to such bashing.

I was trying to find out how in the heck the new vette motors are built and run with synthetic oil without some sort of dino based oil for break in... :confused:

BigGrizzly
10-31-2002, 10:47 PM
I break in with dino oil than amsoil to live. As for mobil One We assembled a new Civic race engine put mobil one in it it had 9% leake down. than drove it from LA to dallasand it had Les than 1% leak down. Here is the new real scoop. New modern engines such as Hondas cars and bikes Yamahas and new generationd are setup at 0.0006->0.001 piston to cylinder clearence. no misprint hear. the tolerances aare so close as id the hone jobs would = 600 grit paper. The oils of to day are so good that they rival synthets. So it doesn't really matter. However I wouldn't do a 1970 geberation motor suchas a 350 454 or 302 Ford Chrystler or Chevy with anything but petro based oil. It it is true that I run tighter clearences on my studd than is recomendes by rebuilders this is why my 502 uses only about a QT in 45 hours of running. Just for everyones information hen oil manufactures refer to HD oil it is not high detergent it stands for heavy duty. The real fact is no majior brand of oil has had a high dtergent oil since 1965. This is true I tested and alked to the engineers of all major brands atgeat length. If some oil sales guy tells you his oil is detergent he is full of camel dung. Now to upset thishole thing I build my race bile and put in Amsoil in it from the get go and break it in during practice and go gor it. Nevr had a piston or ring failure and never had leakdown of nore than 8%.

BigGrizzly
10-31-2002, 11:10 PM
Master poodle don't agree with your mech. I use the sane oil in my race bike an don't have thoes problems. Ihave also seen rollars skid on cams many times with Petro oils. The lubrisity factor and sheer strength of the amsoil is so good I don't worry about it, when regular oil doesn't drain you got a problem sludge

Forrest
11-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Yea Scott, if you are going to change it every 25 hours, then no need to spend the extra money on synthetic. No Frams for me either. I usually use Hastings oil filters, since they are built extremely well and are priced right when bought on-line. I think that in a marine application it's important to use a filter with a media made of synthetic fibers rather than organic. Organic fibers tend to swell if exposed any water. No one wants water in their oil, but because of the marine environment, that can happen - even if it's only a small amount. Hastings and Mobil-One, are two among a number of oil filters that are built using all synthetic filter media. I also, have a few K&Ns waiting to be used, but at ten-bucks a wack I don't know if I'm ready to diasect a new one yet. My bet is that they are good.

Moody Blu'
11-01-2002, 11:15 AM
the only oil filter my boat has ever seen was the k&n, I buy new ones for every season.

Dalelama
11-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Lycoming aircraft engines are broke in using MINERAL OIL! Then fossil is recomended, due to 25 hour oil/filter changes....

Syn oils are not suggested for use by the factory.

Scott... I could use some Amsoil for my lawnmower!

HyperDonzi
11-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Greg K, Are those 2 stroke single cylinder engines? If so I have broken in and not broken in new rings, there wasnt much of a difference from what I remember.

Plugs on a 2 stroke, thats how to find a good plug, drive the crap out of it in the boat, then put it in a 2 stroke, if it fouls then dont use it. NGK seemed to be the best at that test...