PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Torque Starter Swap Out

GeneD
01-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if the new hi-torque mini permanent magnet starter will work properly on a 1985 block with the old style flywheel?
I am using the old style 350 flywheel on the 400 crankshaft and the 400 counterbalance adapter plate. After installing all that stuff, and putting on my brand new hi-torque starter (a really nice piece of equipment) the damn thing will not engage the flywheel.
I bummed out.
Anyone got any ideas?

Shanghied Again
01-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Gene, Now that your done racing for the season, You decided to work on 007 again! Your poor boat must have collected dust all Summer. Great to see your back.
:D

Blewbyu
01-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Gene-I'm in the process of putting a 350 Vortec (2001 engine) in a Range Rover.We had to use the 153 tooth flywheel vs the 168 tooth-and had the same problem you are facing.Went thru 9 different starters (did you know there even more than TWO for SBC's???)-and finally had to drill and tap the block to get the right length starter to fit (with parallel mount holes vs staggered holes).Now understand there is a hi-torque that WILL do the job(with staggered holes).Damned if I know the PN tho-you might talk w/your local speed shop or a Chevy dealer that handles Hi-Perf equiptment.The Vortec block AFTER 97 is definitely different than what you have.You should be able to get yours in two choices I would think.Hope you get luckier than I was!!!!!!
Best Regards-"Blewbyu" :mad: :mad: :mad:

BigGrizzly
01-02-2002, 11:40 PM
Here is the deal: Tilton makes two different small high torque startes one for the 153&168 tooth set up, It has two sets of holes for different mounting. McLeod does the same. PAW carries them both. I don't think they are marine approved.

Randy

GeneD
01-05-2002, 07:34 AM
Okay boys...here's the lowdown.
I got the big flywheel. I got the staggered bolt pattern.
Took off the offending starter, the pretty thing that it is. I put on a working starter for a regular old chevy car engine.
It worked.
Okay, now what.
I put juice to the hi torque baby. It seems to work okay, but the solenoind doesn't seem to be pushing the bendix out enough.
I got this starter from the new boat manufacturer in the area. It had a broken solenoid. I went to my local starter place and got a new solenoid.
So, now I bring the starter over to the guy, he hooks up juice and it works fine. He then gives me a 20 minute lecture on how many different starter there are. Mercruiser makes 3 different starters. This is the middle one (from the catalog pics). He then shows me the different styles of solenoids for all three.
Only two different types.
One for points type ignitions, and one for electronic. I have the electronic version.
Okay, okay! I tell him, I'll go back and take the bellhousing off and see what's going on in there.
I do that, put the starter on, and gosh darn it if it doesn't work perfectly.
I'm speechless.
Frank, yes 007 has much dust on it. It's going to take some getting used to your new handle. Motor should be started this weekend. I got one of those big aluminum oil pans, and I just don't know how much oil to put in there. I'm not sure if I trust this dipstick. Which is way toolong for this application. I have to cut it down, or I'll never get my hatch closed.
Speaking of racing...has anyone noticed the recent division of APBA? I just don't know what to make of it all. Much controversy. I don't even know which of the two we'll be racing in. Though I did get emailed a schedule from my team owner, and it was the FORCE/OPBRA sanction.
Personally, I heard some rumblings from the APBA side, and it didn't sound good. Bashing one of the biggest names in the industry and accusing him of cheating. Perhaps I should post that? It IS, (the rumblings and such) written by a certain journalist who is huge in the industry also. (I'm on his email list)
Ahh, what do I care? I show up, and I do my job. All the political things associated with this is not my area!
But, by the way, did anyone notice that we finished first in National Points? Got to be something said for that!

Gearhead99
01-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Gene,

Good job

Dave

BigGrizzly
01-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Gene, Glad you guys ished FIRST, hard work usually pays off.

Randy