PDA

View Full Version : 2nd time still unsuccessful!!!

olemissalum
02-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Well was beautiful today here in ATL, was supposed to meet a cew of you here on Lake Lanier, well launched the boat and guess what, no forward or reverse. Nothing, and the wind was blowing me away from shore, so with the wife and kids staring at me as I am "sailing away", nothing to do but strip down and pull the boat to shore. MAN, IS THAT WATER F@#$#$#$# COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barely made it to shore and looked like Barney I was so purple when I got there :D
There was a guy taking pics on the shore watching as I drew quite a crowd watching this dumb ass pull his boat to shore in 40 degree water. Well went home and found out the prop has a bad hub, which is sort of good news since I thought it was an engine coupler at first. MAybe sometime before this summer I will get to ride in this new toy I have. Sorry I missed all the Lanier folks today, will have to make it up to you. Later

Bad-Tat
02-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Don't feel bad Olemiss! Tomahawk spun his prop at Sarasota last year. Not a fun time but at least you didn't need to call Tow Boat US!!

olemissalum
02-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Bad-Tat, I think I would have gladly paid the $$$$ rather that take a swim. I did not think I was going to make it to shore. Had to let go of the rope I had tied to the bow and hold on to the hook on the boat as I was starting to get tunnel vision and did not think I could swim any longer. Just held on and kicked the last 20 yards or so, I mean looking back on it was not the smartest thing in the world to do if you know what I mean. wink

smoothie
02-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of my first launch last spring, :D pushed the boat off the trailer and was holding onto the rope that was hooked to the front of the boat and stood there and watched the rope come untied eek! and the boat go drifting away!!!I had to wade out to my waist to get her back,man that water IS cold at 40 degrees.

Tomahawk
02-02-2003, 07:44 PM
And here comes Tomahawk to the rescue - just as I see your stern pulling out of the parking lot! Sorry I missed you Jim. We will try this again with a better result. The lake looks better than it has in three years. Should be a great boating season.

olemissalum
02-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Tomahawk, thought about waiting but once the shakes set in I needed the heater on :D so just put the truck in gear and headed home. Needed adult beverages fast!!!! See ya soon wink

ToonaFish
02-02-2003, 11:16 PM
This tale pretty much defines "insult to injury"! YOU WILL laugh about this one day... I know that because your adventure gave me the best giggle of a perfectly rotten week.

For those of you not lucky enough to live in Atlanta, today was one of those days that makes us put up with our Winter... a hint of Spring blooming in the woods, skies like molten gold, and glorious, tingling, warmth. Just magnificent. The prospect of boating on a day like today, simply heaven. For poor OleMiss to travel so far, and suffer so much, for naught... oh my.

The third time will be the charm, I promise.

Bunches,

Celene 'wanna bet the guy taking the pics will post them on a boating site as a great ramp story?'

nasty habit
02-03-2003, 05:17 AM
ouch !! that doesn't sound fun at all...I think once my pinky toe hit the water I would wave bye -bye to the wife and kids and just sail away ...when you get your prop rehubbed it would be a great time to inquire about something for a backup..I have never paddled my little Cig. but would give it heck in that case ...or even start throwing the anchor out and slowly drag myself to shore one heave at a time........40 degree water is dangerous for sure...

Marlin275
02-03-2003, 11:21 AM
More than once that Donzi paddle has saved my ass. . .
I bought another one for help. . .

Darrell
02-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey guy, you know a person could drown trying to swim a boat like that. I had the same thing happen to me with a 23" that was going away form the shore, nearly drowned getting back to shore. Next time you might think about throwing a anchor and waiting for help. We all want to see you around.

PS: Did you find the problem with your boat.

Darrell

olemissalum
02-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Darrellm I guess GOD has a plan for the morons in this world like me :D Yeah I now find that the prop that came with the boat had a rubber hub instead of the steel one, the 502 will eat those rubber hubs up. Just need to get the steel FLO-Torque hub and will be in business, I hope.....

Ed Donnelly
02-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the joy of boating 101. No fear of us Northeners losing our boats, with 16" of ice we can just walk to it and skate back...Ed

oldLenny
02-03-2003, 03:55 PM
...on a side note. Our ocean water (Pacific) is 42 degrees in winter and about 44 in summer. We learned to swim,tube and ski in this stuff and dive in it often...I guess it is what you are used to. We don't "lounge" in it though. That doesn't work.

Surfer
02-03-2003, 04:05 PM
OK, I don't feel quite so dumb now, yesterday, I ran some gas additive, and carfully calculated how much I needed to get back. As I approached the ramp dock, a fishing line came into focus (great place to fish) nice guy that I am, I waved off the fisherwoman, and went around to the other side...The last drop would have gotten me to the first dock attempt. So there we were 40' from the ramp, wind blowing me away...that 70 degree water was really wet. :D

olemissalum
02-03-2003, 05:59 PM
70 degree water. Man that would be WARM!!! :D

Indyblackhawk
02-03-2003, 08:52 PM
You better accessorize!!!

:cool:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ATempleman06.jpg

olemissalum
02-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Madpoodle, interesting. Other guys are telling me that the 502 will just eat up the rubber type and metal is the only way to go. I understand what you are saying about hitting something though!!! Been there and done that wink