PDA

View Full Version : "Smoked" crate motor

Blewbyu
07-24-2001, 09:16 PM
Went to the hydro/flatbottom Nationals on Lake Washington a week ago-and noticed my beloved ZZ1 crate motor sounding like someone poured a box of rocks down the carb.Pulled it Saturday-and to the machinist yesterday.1/2 thumbnail sized piece broken off edge of #5 piston,rust in #6,both head gaskets blown between 3/5 and 4/6.Machinist said bad gas.I have always run Chevron Supreme until this year when our village built speed bumps on the launch ramp hill that annihilate boat and the truck trans-now I have to buy gas on the lake,and it's all regular at $2.50 gal.The engine was 10.5:1 compression-and we are going to 9.0:1 so she will run on "crap" gas.Anyone know how much performance loss I can expect? Will hole shot suffer significantly?(she tailwalked easily before).Have also bought 6 gal tanks to get Supreme at the station,but it's a pain!Your thoughts?? :mad:

Forrest
07-25-2001, 09:48 AM
That sucks about the ZZ! Don't give in and let those rip-off, speed-bump installin', pompus putzs (that was for all you old timers around here), dictate what kind of performance you will get out of your Donzi. :mad: Fight back! :mad: Get a few nice plastic fuel jugs like those made by VP, or even a fuel caddy with wheels, and put 93 back in the tank! BTW, that engine was probably designed at an optimal compression ratio for that cam and the fast burn-heads. I think that you will notice the lower performance and the engine may have weaker idle than with ten point something to one compression. Best of luck.

GEOO
07-25-2001, 11:23 AM
WOW, Bummer!! I know the feeling all Too well. Doulbe check your valves for rust. Make sure you didn't have any reversion. I'm with Forrest, Buy some jerry jugs. Keep the CR. GEOO

Jamesbon
07-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. I hope all is well from here on out.

I had the same thing happen on one side of my old 355. I don't think it was bad gas, I think it was a bad seal between the head, gasket and block. Hence the rust.

Personally I wouldn't even THINK of going from 10.5:1 to 9.0:1, but that's only a matter of personal preference.

I would GUESS the drop would be in the 50-100 HP range?? Anyone??