PDA

View Full Version : volvo 280 slop

nasty habit
02-02-2003, 12:25 PM
I have noticed a bit of slop in my drive (side to side) I had the drive gone thru by a reputable drive shop...the whole thing transom bracket included along with streering linkages and such and I trust his judgement on replacing worn parts , but ,.. I cannot recall how much sway the drive had prior to the rebuild & reinstall...I am taking it to him this week but thought some other 280 owners may have some input as to what might be considered acceptable... thanks ...

MOP
02-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Brand new you can shake them about 3/4 of an inch side to side. If all is tight aft then possibly your helm may also be adding some slop. All boat stuff has to be looked at from end to end. Like over heats, most go for the pump. One should start by checking for bubbles / air leaks and vacuum in the supply line from the drive and pressure just berfore the elbows to check for blockage at either end. I made up a nice Gizzmo with a Vac & Pressure gauge which I insert in the lines to check when new and periodically at least once a season.

nasty habit
02-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Thaks M.O.P. I just found the culprit...am trying to find a picture in the manual now .....on the Hydr ram ....the connection point between the part (tube) that the cable attatches to and the part that the Hydr.lines from the pump attatch to ....there is a boot and a BIG bolt....that appears to have some majoar movemant and I can see it slipping in a retaining ring that keeps the cable piece inline......kinda hard to describe ,,,but i think you may knwo what I am talking about

I assume there shouldn't be any movement between these to points ? although with that rubber boot maybe there is to be some...