PDA

View Full Version : To winterize or not to winterize...

Craig
10-30-2002, 06:13 AM
O.K. I wanted to go for one more run. Was planning to fill the tank and add "stabile" for the winter BEFORE actually winterizing. Figured that way it would get through the system, lines, etc. BUT it has been raining here in western MD and now it's suppose to go down to 25 degrees tonight. Friends tell me I shouldn't have to worry about problems with the engine, manifolds, etc. unless it gets into the teens or low 20's for a prolonged period. Further, I always see boats in at their docks on Deep Creek (Garrett County MD) well into November and these, I'm sure, are just raw water pump cooled (i.e. not closed sytems with anti freeze). Was thinking maybe I'd at least drain the ole' Holman Moody manifold "humps" tonight. Any thoughts? Don't want a "cracked" anything.

MOP
10-30-2002, 07:41 AM
A 100 watt bulb in drop light will get you through, hang it by its own wire so its not touching anything. Throw a tarp over the compartment so the heat it makes does not get out the vents.

Craig
10-30-2002, 08:46 AM
M.O.P. - I was actually considering that too. Wasn't sure if it would do the trick. I'll do it for some insurance. Thanks.
It reminds me of years ago my Dad owned a laundry-mat and he had some little gizmo rigged up with a small red light bulb on a timer set to go on at night. The bulb was mounted under the thermostat for the building. It made enough heat, I guess, to keep the furnace from kicking on as soon. Accoriding to him it worked like a charm. Just the right temp to favorably effect the heat bill!
Thanks again! Hey maybe I'll slap a 150 watter in there and I'll take in a few late December rides. Yeah!
No - might hit a small ice berg by then.