PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate Disaster w/ Space Shuttle

Bandit
02-01-2003, 08:59 AM
The Columbia went down today over Texas.

NASA will over come this setback.

harbormaster
02-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Oh my God...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I just heard too, we are on our way out of town to the OSO party, this just ruined my day, so very sad.

God Bless them all, and their families.
Bryan

Sagbay32
02-01-2003, 09:28 AM
A very sad story unfolding.

Mike

mattyboy
02-01-2003, 09:48 AM
May God hold them in his hand and bless their families and loved ones........

Matt

HP 600SC
02-01-2003, 10:01 AM
God rest their souls, They are true Hero's who gave their life for the good of all man kind.

Woodsy
02-01-2003, 03:23 PM
GodSpeed STS-107!! May you, & your families find peace.

Woodsy :confused: :confused:

riverrat
02-01-2003, 04:48 PM
I'm sure all hearts go out to the people involved in this. Judy & I are very upset by it. this is risky, nessasary stuff.. I recall the 1st time in '86. I have talked to several people in upper east Texas today & all of them report hearing & then seeing this tragic event. as posted Gods speed .. :confused:

the rat

abelchinewalker
02-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the astronauts lost in todays tragedy. These seven heros, as well as the NASA officials are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Abels

HyperDonzi
02-01-2003, 07:23 PM
abelchinewalker:
Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the astronauts lost in todays tragedy. These seven heros, as well as the NASA officials are in our thoughts and prayers.

The AbelsWell said. It is so hard to process the person being gone. Hopefully NASA will find what was wrong and prevent it from happening again.

Barry Phillips
02-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Another sad day for all of us, God bless them and be with the loved ones left behind.

SO-SLO

harbormaster
02-01-2003, 07:39 PM
I work at the Johnson Space Center and I really dread going to work Monday morning...

Here is the theory that I have heard from someone at NASA.

Debris on launch struck one of the wings and damaged the heat shielding.

On re-entry the intense heat got to the wing causing it to fail.

The wing loss changed the re-entry attitude of the orbiter and alowing re-entry heat to come into contact with unprotected flight surfaces.

This caused it to break up from the heat.

Someone said that this is what some of the media is say also. I am not sure.

HyperDonzi
02-01-2003, 09:40 PM
If the debris knocked a few tiles off, dont you think that the hurricane force winds would tear more tiles off until the shuttle melts apart?

SS18
02-01-2003, 09:58 PM
This is an unfortunate set back for everyone and our countries morale. please god give our best to everyone!

Woodsy
02-01-2003, 10:58 PM
My uneducated guess is Columbia lost a tile or two from the underside (black) of the left wing. These are single point failure critical. There is no redundancy to the ceramic tiles. NASA reported losing telemetry from some of the sensors in the left wing, as well as other sensors indicating structural overheating and overpressure. At Mach 18, even if one "critical" tile were missing, the heat caused by re-entry would cause a complete failure. What remains to be determined is if the debris that struck the shuttles wing on liftoff had anything to do with the tile failure. Its my understanding, that if they lost a white (non-critical failure) tile, the orbiter would be able to land without incident. I am told that they lose a few of those per mission.

Scot, I think you are right, Monday is definitely going to be a bad day at work. The mood there is going to be awful.

Woodsy :confused: :confused:

Formula Jr
02-02-2003, 12:31 AM
There is a backup system for the lost of critical tiles, how ever the ablation patch kit was not flown on this mission, nor did they have the usual remote camera system in place to check the suspected area. Both of our Shuttle loses, were launched during times of extreme cold. There are a thousand things that might have gone wrong here, micrometeor field, space junk, tile adhesive failure, computer guidance failure, wheel well seal falure. We'll have to wait and see. But now is a time for mourning, the analysis can wait till Monday.

My deepest compassion goes out to the friends and family of those lost. They were our nation's bavest, and finest explorers. We have lost the most people, in the endeavor of space, cause we are the premire space fairing nation. One day we will travel the stars, and it will be upon the giant shoulders of these great people that we shall do so.

When we get back to launching Shuttles, there will be no shortage of volunteers to follow in the foot steps of Columbia's Crew. Cause thats what we do as Americans. It is freedom's flower that we push the limits of human experience and knowledge. We do not shink from risk, and we do not step backward. We figure it out and try again. We understand no other path.....

Shanghied Again
02-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Our Prayers go out to all of them.

Hardonzi
02-02-2003, 09:57 AM
I salute all 7 and the rest of the NASA astronauts that do this for us "AMERICANS" and their passion for knowledge. These people are a breed all of their own making life here on earth safer. Thanks for makin us the most feared and safest nation on this earth."We will fix this and move on " quoted by NASA. That truely is the American Way.

Ed Donnelly
02-02-2003, 11:50 AM
It is not just Americas loss.. It is the loss of all nations. We all share the fruits of the Americans labors. You are a nation that all other nations look up to.I am proud to have you as my neighbor. A Canadian in mourning for your loss...Ed

Ed Donnelly
02-02-2003, 11:50 AM
It is not just the Americans loss.. It is the loss of all nations. We all share the fruits of the Americans labors. You are a nation that all other nations look up to.I am proud to have you as my neighbor. A Canadian in mourning for your loss...Ed

MOP
02-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I like many watched it as it happened, I had to walk away with tears in my eyes. The pain is and will be felt for a long time. I have a thought that NASA should ponder! Why did they not preform a space walk to check the damage? They routinely do space walks on the shuttles to preform work on projects, why not when they knew something broke off and hit the wing as described on TV with photos. A scientist friend of mine feels that NASA no longer has the same quality people as it did years back when space work was more prestigious. Only time will tell if blame should be placed!

Mark Albers
02-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Donzi Aficionados :(

The NASA space shuttles and our Astronauts encapsulate everytning great about America

We are sophisticated country
With much capital to tune technology
We dont settle for mediocrity
We are sons of adventures pioneers

And when the times is right they will
climb aborad for a new mission

Man are we lucky to live in a great country

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

Surfer
02-03-2003, 08:05 AM
With tears in my eyes, my heart goes out to all the families and friends of NASA. Words can't express our feelings, but we will come back!

harbormaster
02-03-2003, 12:50 PM
I volunteered to work at the emergency response center tomorrow so that others may attend the memorial service with President Bush. It will probably really hit me then.

blue-z
02-03-2003, 02:40 PM
..sad times indeed. Your country will move on, with respect and dignity that will permeate to the souls of those lost. They will continue to shine.