PDA

View Full Version : Battery questions

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-31-2001, 12:12 PM
When measuring on a volt meter what should a charged battery read?

I have the dual battery set up, Battery number one has an addtional wire on the positive side of the battery, about 1/3 the diameter of a normal battery cable, what is it for?

I seem to remember when I was kid my dad saying if you get a spark when connecting the wire to the battery you have a short somewhere? True or false?

I let a battery drain by accident, 10.56 on the meter, she is charging now on the 10amp charge setting. Other battery is 12.65 volts.

What is trickle charge (2amp) setting for?

Thanks, Bryan

Woodsy
12-31-2001, 12:26 PM
Brian,

You should see anywhere from 12.5 to 13 volts without the engine running. You should see 14 to 14.5 volts with the engine running. As far as sparks when you connect you battery, don't forget, unless you have a really old Donzi, that the computer is drawing some voltage, as well as your radio (station presets, clock). Hope this helps.

Woodsy :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-31-2001, 12:30 PM
Woodsy, thanks...
I guess "dead" is under 12V uh?
I left the radio on and #1 drained on me. This particular Sony stereo beeps at low voltage, heard it walking by the boat yesterday!

The wire on #1 I originally ask about goes the starter.

Thanks again. Bryan

BigGrizzly
12-31-2001, 06:15 PM
After working with Uasa, Delco and Exide(one of my sponsors). the Nominal voltage of a 12 volt battery without any attachements is 13.7. Woodsy is correcton the readings. You shouldn't problem bringing it back. Fact in order to charge a 12 volt battery uou need a minium of 14 volts with the correct amp/hour rate. if not you will do what is called capping the battery. which means if you charge it with a 12 volts(only) it will never get higher than 12 volts period. This holds true for new batteries that are put into cars/boats and motorcycles etc. that hav been sitting around too long charges on the shelf. When I get a new battery I charge it over night at 2amps. Except for Deep cucle batteries whivh need more amp/hours.
That extra wire is actually a accessory lead thet goes -in most boats- to the starter solonoide then power accessories run of f it. whwn charging it unhook the leads so your charger does only the battery. Seen this radio trick before, some times the radio goes one by itself and drains the battery-Tomahawk had this one.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-31-2001, 06:22 PM
Thanks Randy, I charged her until the charger gauge said 75%, I had to quit fiddling outside and start getting ready for tonight, I will finish charging her all day tomorrow on the 2amp setting.

Since the production date on the boat was Nov 2000 the posts etc had never been shined up and cleaned. I did that today also.

What about the vasoline trick to prevent corrosion? Good idea? What should I apply as a protectant?
Bryan

Rob
01-01-2002, 02:15 AM
10.65 volts on a 12 volt battery is pretty flat! Anytime you get below 11 volts you have very little battery left.

BTW, running any wet cell battery completely flat will inevitably reduce its life.

BigGrizzly
01-01-2002, 08:46 AM
Bryzn , use a dialectric grease. Rob that5 would be true if it would stay at that rate for a period of time. I n Bryans case ghe is on top of his unit all the time. He cleans it at every gas stop when travaling. He is best known for making a boat newer than when he got it( that stands for new stuff too). I think he will be ok providing the set it up right to begin with. besides batteries are the cheapest thing a boat has to fic with the exception of a light bulb. Bryan do not wax and polish the battery this time.

Randy