PDA

View Full Version : Prop advice needed

florida gator
01-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Since I needed an engine rebuild cussball , I decided to go with a few minor performance upgrades that should increase my horsepower. How will I know what prop will give me best all around performance? :confused:

Dr. Dan
01-30-2003, 05:39 AM
:cool: ....Sometimes I fantasize and play with the "Prop Calculator" on this site.... www.boatpropellers.com (http://www.boatpropellers.com) .... eek! Gee I wish the temp would go up to at least freezing....gotta get out more often!..... :D ...Doc

Sam
01-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Take a guess and then test, test and test.

Sam :confused:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-30-2003, 07:19 PM
My advice would be guess close, and buy a prop from a professional place that will help dial it in. (not pushing where I bought mine).
I have wasted $ hundreds of bucks while I was learning the whole prop game the last three years. Know your needs at the begining, cruise, top end, hole shot etc etc.
My friends have had good luck with Merc, Throttle Up, Hill and a couple others.

And most members here will let a fellow board member borrow one if you pay the shippping.

I have a Bravo I 24P blueprinted once, I will be selling it cheap ($200) once I dial in the new 26P and buy another for a spare.
Bryan

PS, this months article on the smaller diameter 5 blade Merc was very interesting! :)

BigGrizzly
01-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Save your self time and money and run what you have to find out where the new motor is first. unless you have major mods prop size may be only one inch more. Other thing to keep in mind all brands are different. My 27 inch Turbo is faster by 2MPH than my 27 Marage Plus and handles better yet engine RPMs are 100 RPMs less. you just have to try them

MOP
02-02-2003, 01:07 PM
It all goes back to trying or hopefully borrowing a prop or two to get into the correct RPM range for your usage.