PDA

View Full Version : hull foam

Zinger
10-28-2002, 08:45 PM
I have a question regarding the foam on the bottom of my 86 hull i removed all the foam does it need to be replaced , does it add any strength to the hull or is it used just for floation .Where can you purchase the foam if needed and what type of foam is required. Thanks for any advised you can offer,also can anyone sent me some pics on their restoration. Thanks Jeff alecsammy@aol.com

harbormaster
10-28-2002, 10:46 PM
Jeff,
What kind of boat??

Zinger
10-29-2002, 06:10 AM
86 18ft. 2+3 classic,also has you ever heard of anyone putting a big block into a 18ft. classic

Donzigo
10-29-2002, 06:42 AM
Foam on the bottom of a hull. I can't get a picture of that. Inside the engine room? Where?

KRAVEN
10-29-2002, 08:14 AM
My 2002 18 has foam around the gas tank,under the rear flooring and in the bow.I beleive it is for flotation only.

RedDog
10-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Do you mean one of these :D ?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydt012.jpg

Also check http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=459

olredalert
10-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Zinger,

-----Not only have a few 18s been retrofitted but DONZI actually built a short run of 330hp 454s with TRS drives in the mid to late 70s.I called the factory up when I bought mine,new,(a year old X-18 left-over from a defunct Chicago dealership)and they told me then that they only built 6 and quit for liability reasons.I suppose they could have built a few more later,but the jury is out on that question...........just......ol red!......Bill S

McGary911
10-29-2002, 05:36 PM
I believe that the foam you are referring to is a urethane foam that was used to secure the gas tank in place. It was problematic in some boats, as the foam could get wet and hold water, which could lead to pre mature corrosion\failure of the aluminum gas tank. Im not sure how to replace it, but many of the board members have split their decks and replaced the tank, and could probably offer some advise....

clayman
10-29-2002, 06:01 PM
Most bodyshop supply houses will have two part urethane foam. Mix and pour into the areas to be foamed, it will expand 20-30? times its size. It is like great stuff, but you mix it. If you let it cure, without cutting into it, it will not take on water. If you cut it you open up the cell structure, and it will hold water.
Jim

Fish boy
10-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Does any one know whether it is necessary to have the foam in the boat? I beleive it is for floatation, but I do not plan on sinking it any time soon and believe it is holding water and adding weight.

Fish

Donzigo
10-29-2002, 08:09 PM
I had the stringers on my Z-25 completely rebuilt by a fiberglass guy I'd put up against any in the nation. He was and is known around these parts as being a pro, for sure. I had amny conversations with him regarding this foam around the gas tank. I always lost. He was totally determined to put it back in. It holds the tank in place, and seals out water intrusion from the bottom. He did a great job, too. I beleive I would go back to factory specs with foam, if I were you.

Scott Pearson
10-30-2002, 08:40 AM
Here is a picture of a 22 Donzi at the factory with foam along side the stringers. http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearfoam01.jpg

(NJ)Scott