PDA

View Full Version : Towing another boat ......Do you? Would you?

Donzigo
10-28-2002, 08:54 AM
Recently, at the Sarasota Rally, Last Tango's boat went down, and because I felt comfortable with the situation, I towed him into Oneill's Marina for repairs. It's the first time I have towed someone in years; and, here's the reasons why. Years ago, at "Shell Island" off of Pass-A- Grille Pass, in St. Pete, there was a sailboat aground. It was a Sunday afternoon, the booze flowing freely, a festive atmosphere, with 30 to 40 boats, there. The sailboater got real manic & upset; and, asked if someone would help him & pull his mast over, so he could get off the sand. A guy in a big trawler obliged and took his 13' Whaler to the sailboat, where a rope was attached, and he proceeded to do pull the mast over. The sailboat began to surely get off the sandbar; but, unexpectedly, the boom came over struck a passenger; and then the entire mast came down. The sailboat boat was large, in the 35/40 range, and expensive to be sure. The sailboater was beside himself with anger, even though the "nice guy", was doing exactly what he was told to do and just trying to help. But, suddenly he goes from being "Nice guy" to "Victum". I never heard what the outcome was; but, I'll bet it wasn't pretty, with people hurt, the boat badly damaged, and even if the Whaler guy was saved from liability, it could have cost him a bundle to defend himself. That whole ugly scene is still etched in my mind with the sailboater screaming, "Law suit", and those people hurt. Who knows, they might have just been casual friends of the sailboater, who he himself didn't know well. It taught me a lesson in "why it's not good to be innocent". I don't want to be cynical; but, what do you do?

Friends: Yes, I would have no problem towing.

Strangers on the water: I have called help for people, rendered assistance, taken people aboard my boat to safety, waited at a site for help to arrive. But, towing, I don't do it.

Emergencys: Possible mortality, I'd help, no matter what.

It's real simple: My insurance policy states that while towing, my insurance "null and void, I checked

Questions, I love to know.

I've heard that the liablity is changed, based on who throws who the rope?

I've heard that there are "good samaritan laws" that protect the "nice guy" who helps. (But, wouldn't the guy still have to defend himself, if it came down to it?)

I've heard that the "nice guy" is responsible for any damage to and the welfare of passengers on the "towed boat".

Would ocean maritime laws be different than inland waterways laws concerning "towing"?

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

RickR
10-28-2002, 10:12 AM
I always try to do my own assesment of the situation. If I feel there may be property damage I will not hook to a boat or car. So I'll stand by to render assistance.

If I feel no property damage will occur I ask the stranded person if he would like help and tell him he is resonsible for any damage incurred.

Many times a over zelous good samartian causes trouble.

There are "Good Samaratian" laws concerning medical assistance.

BTW Being a 4wdriver from way back, I am very carefull with the towing line or strap. It needs to be of adequate strength and have good connecting points.

Here in the Tennessee mountains (Home of the Tennessee Volunteers) we get ALOT of YAHOOs wink from Alabama, Georgia and Florida in the winter time with their new SUVs that think they can drive in the snow :rolleyes: . Very few injures but LOTS of property damage. Winter entertainment for us summer time boat ramp spectators :D

Dalelama
10-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Rick.....

Better BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

there's a HURRICANE comming your way soon......

Be afraid!

GO CANES!
5 time National Champions (And currently #1)
29 game win streak... and counting

BCS= Bull - Crap - S*#t

HyperDonzi
10-28-2002, 02:40 PM
This year I have towed 6 boats myself and 1 with my Mom and Sisters. On 6 of them, no injuries, no property damage, no yelling, no confusion in the boat etc. Can you guess which 6 those were?

Things I learned:

If someone tells you to hold the rope that is tied to the other boat, SAY NO. You will be cut REALLY deep.

Remember common sense, dont try to get to your crusing speed while towing another boat (It was moms driving for the first time in the last 2 seasons!)