PDA

View Full Version : No Water Temp

Philip47
10-27-2002, 05:23 PM
installed a crossover and thremostat housing, no thermostat, w/ a 3/4" water restricor instead.
no water temp,doesn't register on the gauge.
oil temp is 140 low speed 180-190 at 4500
I can not run a thermostat with this set up.
Do i need to by different style with a bypass from Stailess Marine?

I bought this from Teague Marine and they say there is no problem with the cold temps i am running, i have a hard time believing that.

BigGrizzly
10-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Teague is incorrect as you already know. GM has a graph in a service bulletin that states anything lower than 160F increases engine wear by 20%. I would get a crossover with a bypass and run at least 160F T-stat with 3 3/16 bleed holes in them My corsican has a closed cooling system and runs at 190. before Sarasota I ran a crosover with a bypass Like I described can be had from Stainles Marine. You could run a smaller restrictor, but might be too small to cool the exhaust. Remember optimum oil temp is between 195 and 210. Anything less is has poor lubrisity and can coagulate. The restrictor works well for steady state speed and load. Now you need to worry about such things as thermoschock. I was there twice with the Corsican and cost me two complete motors. Now the Criterion has a closed cooling system and holds the temp at 165->170.
I want it hotter but with the 698 HP blower motor I will need to be careful and sneek up to 180->190F. This is a new generation systen and only weighs 52 pounds including the circulating pump(which I didn't have before) and the added water in the tank. They will be on sale soon from Performance Product Technologies.

Greg Maier
10-27-2002, 07:14 PM
BigGrizzly,
Can you explain the use of crossover and bypasses in the cooling system. Are they used to bypass the thermostat? Why would you want to do that? Any light that you could shed on this would be appreciated.

Greg K
10-27-2002, 07:38 PM
This is what you need..I just finished installing mine..and very happy now with it..from what I understand you do not want to deadhead your impeller and also continue to flow water thru exhaust is why you need the bypass.
http://www.stainlessmarine.com/page73B.jpg

BigGrizzly
10-27-2002, 07:49 PM
When you use cross over you eliminate the water circulating pump and the internal bypass that keeps coolant circulating by the t-Stat to guage when temp is hot and to open. So when you put a t-stat in a cross over system you have no water going to the exhaust manifold and they will overheat in a hurry so you need a by pass and a t-stat with holes to keep fluid moving past the t-stat to heat it to open. No holes and no fluid motion so the t-stat doesn't open untill it is too late. When the t-stat does open the water flowes from the t-stat because that is the less restrictive path. Your boat has a circulating pump with .depending on the hose configuration, two bypass systems in it. Dead head is the correc term I was looking for

Philip47
10-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Will the Stainless Marine System with a bypass work? I read that running a thermostat with a bypass will cause too much water pressure? Then you have to add a flow valve to beleed off pressure What exactly do I need to buy for my engine?????

Now you need to worry about such things as thermoschock. I was there twice with the Corsican and cost me two complete motors. Now the Criterion has a closed cooling system and

What is Thermoshock? I want to buy this stuff this week and be in the water next weekend?

Grizz can you list what I need to buy?? do I need a closed cooling system or can I run a Stainless Marine Bypass with a Thermostat???

Greg K
10-27-2002, 10:31 PM
No problem with water pressure with a bypass since water is flowing always along with a thermostat for marine use and what you need is in the pic along with some hose. I don't see any reason why you couldn't run the setup as shown.