PDA

View Full Version : Classic 22 vs. Minx 20.... your opinion please

Stix Magill
12-29-2001, 10:09 AM
I love my Minx, but everytime I look at one of the knockout 22 Classics you guys have, I start dreaming of a 22 of my own!

If anyone has had experience in both, I would like your feedback. My Minx has a fresh 350mag/Alpha and I think I would want a 22 with 502/bravo and silent choice.

It is not just performance I am looking for, but overall enjoyment. Are these boats in two different leagues, or are they similar? Unfortunately, I have not been able to see a 22 in person, let alone experience the ride, performance, etc. They look so much sleeker, and my Minx looks kind of tall (fat).

Thanks for your input!!

Happy New Year!

:) http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donzifast.jpg

Tomahawk
12-29-2001, 01:15 PM
Stix - I have not ridden in a Minx and I'm sure there are folks here that have. However, let me just say that the 22 Classic is a great boat with super style. That being said, keep in mind that anyone with the cash can have a 22 because they still make them and they are not hard to find used either. The Minx is no longer made and you don't see many of them today. To me, that makes your boat more special, especially if it's nice shape.
Bring your boat to Lake Lanier sometime and we'll try them both. Or, put a warmed over 502 with a Bravo in your Minx and kick some surprised tails! :)

SS18
12-29-2001, 08:41 PM
Hey Stix,
The minx is like owning 69 camaro ss few and far between.Want to sell it? I would consider it to buy.I'm looking.The 22 is also
on the accumulate list.It's a tough choice like baskin robbins icecream.

Let me know;
Jim in N.J. :)

SS18
12-29-2001, 08:50 PM
OH so not to offend;
The 22 classic is like owning 2001 corvette
(which we have torch red conv.)an experience
hard to describe 165mph with more pedal to go!
Jim in N.J. :D

BigGrizzly
12-29-2001, 10:09 PM
I have ridden in both, very little difference. A 22 would be cheeper than outfitting your boat with a 502 and a bravo. If you like the Minks keep it. I still have my Corsican too. It is a very special boat especially to me.

Randy

Tim Howland
12-31-2001, 09:09 PM
Stix,

You do have something that in time I believe may appreciate. I do not know the compete history behind the Minx, someone like Griz, Owen, or Formula Jr. would know more. Although slightly under-powered with the 350 mags they still hold the magic of the Donzi mark. Randy Hibbard and I owne Limited Editions, and although that sounds like an Eddie Bauer edition exploder, it makes both of these black '87's rarer still. It would be hard to keep these boats as "all numbers match" like vintage vettes,for me half the challenge is keeping it pristine, and up and runnin with the 18's and 22's on Lake Winni. As I have explained to my wife and 5 kids, the house goes before the boat!

Enjoy the ride,
Tim

BigGrizzly
01-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Strange you had to explain it to them. I'm sure rhat the look in your eyes was enough. At least for my wife and family it is. I can say this:, the best times in my life are spent in my boats. I have had wonderful times and experiences-Racing, and other experiences. But if I was allowed to have only one it would be boating. Any one who really knows me will tell you that, my Donzis are my pride and joys.
If power is your problem, thats the easy part, handeling of yours vs the 22 is slite if at all. If it is looks or you have not bonded with your boat than change. Look at me I have two of the most different Donzis there are, A Corsican and a Criterion. Each time I went looking for a classic I came home with one of these. I don't regret it at all.

Randy

Stix Magill
01-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys,
All of your feedback is appreciated. I do love my Minx, and it is a black Limited Edition. My plan is to enjoy the Minx and keep my eyes open for a smokin' deal in the future. This is a great boat and for me to get rid of it would be foolish. I'll go ahead with the new seats and wet-sand projects!

Happy New Year!

Scott Smith

Terry Brannigan
01-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Stix,

I have owned both a Minx, a Classic 22 and a ZX22. I bought the Minx new because it was all I could afford at the time. I spent the entire time I had it pinning away for a 22. When I got older and had a little more money I finally got the 22 which I still own along w/ the ZX. To be perfectly honest, there is very little difference at all. I was more concerned about what others thought of it than the realities of the differences. To the layman there is absoutely no difference. Both turn heads everywhere they go. Interestingly, I would note that the folks on this board know more about these vessels than any where you could possibly go and I have never heard an unkind word about a Minx even from 22 owners. The only people who might poo-poo a Minx are the dock rats who think they know something but don't own either! Keep it if it's a keeper. My 2 cents on a hugh repower is we could have all spent significantly less on a boat that goes faster, that's not why we own them. We own them because they have soul! If it should have that kind of power it would have come with it! Save the money, your frineds are already jealous!

Terry

Stix Magill
01-08-2002, 07:40 PM
Terry,

Thanks for your input! You are the guy I wanted to find, someone who has owned both. The Minx and 22 Classics are both great boats. I've decided to cleanup the Minx and use it for years. The 350mag is fresh (80hours) and the apearance can be brought back with seats and a wet sand. Power is really not an issue. None of my friends have ever had such a fast boat ride, my wife won't ride at WOT, and I'll be damn if I'm going to mess with a reliable engine! In a few years, I might look for a mint condition 22 because I would like a clean boat.

Question anyone: Did any other boat share the hull with the Minx?

Thanks again,

Scott

Barry Phillips
01-10-2002, 07:45 PM
I have never owned either one, though I
almost purchased an 87 just like yours
Navy over Cream with that kik ass Italian
windshield .Upon driving I did not think the
260 Alpha set up was enough, big blocks
in these wonderful boats are rare and only
God knows why, they certainly have the
hull to handle some real HP. Based on