PDA

View Full Version : 390 marine ????

Gary S.
12-29-2001, 06:10 AM
Any one know if the 390 or 427 Fords were used in any Donzis ??? I have a HEALTHY 390 from my old pulling truck that should work pretty well in my newly found Hornet. The ring gap and piston to wall clearance are loose enough for marine use, and will a 270 Volvo handle 400+ HP and 450+ ft. lbs. of torque???? If not what are my options for upgrades with out spending too much cash???

BigGrizzly
12-29-2001, 07:05 AM
The 427 Ford was used inSome V Drive Corsicans and some Hornets. John and Kathy have a beautiful one which is in the registry. It is also modified with a Blower. The boats name is Wa-lo which BTW way cool. The 390 has been marinized since its conception, if costom headders are too high get them at Osco, they still have them. the 270 drive will handle that hp easily, some of us have put much more than that on them. I however don't set up my engines up any looser than a auto, unless you use the Hyperutectic type which I don't use ever. If your motor is from the 1970's with the Venolia forged pistons you would probably need looser than todays standards. I personally do like the 390 and the 428 series, the 428 being my preference- lots of torque at little Rpms. This sounds like a fun project, keep us informed.As for cheep upgrades cans are the only cheap upgrades. Don't get a low end cam. With that engine a nice dual profile cam, like Babe Erson's Max 108 is a great mid to upper end cam (2000->5000rpm )pulls really hard to 4800 with good cruise -3000-3700. there are other cams around that probably work as well but I have used that one in my old 390 and made some old 409 chevy people mad. we than put it in a old garvy flat bottom and went really well for a barge.

Randy