PDA

View Full Version : IMCO shorty drive experience on a 22 Classic

roadtrip se
12-27-2001, 01:49 PM
Looking for some feedback here.

I remember seeing pictures of this thing on Ted's boat. What did it do to speed, handling, and hole shot? Any prop changes?
Bottom changes? Was it the two inch shorty?

Anybody else have some time with this modification?

thanks, Todd

Looped
12-27-2001, 02:20 PM
I was just told a couple of weeks ago that IMCO has just come out with a complete outdrive unit. He told me that it would have either the lower standard size casing, one-inch shorty or the two-inch shorty lower unit, an upper casing with beefier internal parts than the Bravo 1 and it will come with an external hydraulic steering setup for about 8k. I guess just wait and see if this will be true?

Craig

HP 600SC
12-27-2001, 04:29 PM
Todd, Yes mine is the 2" shorty "EXTREME"
lower. It is available as a housing,
where you install all of your "guts"
from your lower,(thats what I did)
or as a complete unit.
I saw 5.5 MPH increse top end,
slightly slower holeshot due to cavitation
if I excede 3000 RPM while plaining from
a dead stop. No cavitation if I stay slightly under 3000 RPM while plaining.
Noticed increased porposing between
2500-3500 but none from 3500 to WOT.
No change in handling...very stable
even at 85-87 MPH. I went up 2" in pitch
to a 30" merc. Lab. Mirage Plus (29 repitched).
Yes it was worth the money.....wish
they made a 3" shorty...it would work
no problem...I tried a custom 3" shorty
from mercury racing but nobody can buy them,
they are only available to manufactures for testing....
Ted M.

PaulO
12-28-2001, 06:46 AM
Ted,
I apologize since I can't keep track of whose boat has what anymore. Is your 22 the one with the rocker in the hull? I ask because I was told by IMCO not to put the shorty on my 20 cigarette since it did not have rocker and needed the leverage of the longer drive for bow lift probably more than it needed the reduced drag of the shorty. Wondering if they steered me in the wrong direction.
PaulO

HP 600SC
12-28-2001, 07:41 AM
PaulO,
The shorty worked well with my hull
with no rocker added.....I did notice
that it did require twice as much trim on
the trim guage (a mechanical gaffrig).
It was at a 2-3 before and went to 5-6
after.......so if your boat does not require
much trim now....then you would be OK
with the shorty. I have made some changes to
my hull bottom recently but the above observations were with the stock bottom.
Hope this help's........Ted M.

BigGrizzly
12-28-2001, 08:51 AM
Paul, They didn't steer you wrong. The Cigarette is a shorter boat and also has less natrual bow lift than the 22 Classic hull, it also has a higher freeboard in the bow. If you remember the front seats are close to the V right where you put your feet so your closer to the bow. the 19 Hornet has the same problem with the shortie. There are some other boats on that list also. The problem would been cavitation at cruise and acceleration. Since I can't put one on my combination it was easier to add HP than an outdrive, besides I like the smooth trans engagement of the trans.

Randy

roadtrip se
12-28-2001, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everybody!

Ted, Family and Performance Boating has a write-up on the new IMCO Extreme SC. They claim that the choices include a one, two, and three inch shorty replacement for the Bravo XZ and XR. You say a three incher works even better on your boat. How much better? Is your X-dimension stock? Although we can't buy one now, any idea when Merc might make this "testing" drive available?

Griz. I will probably do the new shorty drive as a complete package and keep the old drive in case I want to put the boat back to stock. Then phase two comes the horsepower.
Everybody complains about drive failures with big HP, even those who baby them, so I will take care of the weakest link first.
Jill will have me strung up if our boat starts spending more time in the shop than on the water.

Of course, full steering and k-planes comes as part of this deal. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Just getting a little info and doing a little dreaming right now.

Thanks for the info, Todd

BigGrizzly
12-28-2001, 08:06 PM
Be safe, we all will give any info that you need. Trmber any thing can happen, even with the best parts made, and to no fault of the driver-stuff happens.

Randy

HP 600SC
12-28-2001, 09:11 PM
Todd,
Mercury will not offer those units for sale to anyone....they are for boat manufactures
to use in the development of new boats to
determine X-dimensions. Steve Schoderer from
Mercury told me they cost them about $30K
to make one as they are hand made.
Yes my X-dimension is stock. The 3 inch
shorty was good for 8 MPH over stock.
Hope this helps.
Ted M.

mikev
12-28-2001, 09:18 PM
can i bolt one of these shortys to an alpha drive?

HP 600SC
12-28-2001, 09:25 PM
mikev,
no......it wont fit......

GEOO
12-29-2001, 08:30 PM
Ted,
What would my drive be in comparision to a Bravo's X- Dim??? GEOO

Dr. Dan
12-31-2001, 12:55 PM
Roadtrip, Check out the January 2002 Issue of Powerboat, page 42 has an article "Hard Case" that speaks to the production units available from IMCO. Xtreme Advantage SC - $8,000.00. I think you'll find this article interesting... ;) Doc

roadtrip se
01-01-2002, 02:41 PM
Five to eight mph on a stock engine configuration sounds like a great way to go.

Powerboat, thanks Doc, and Family Performance
are saying great things about this stuff.

Looks like a three incher requires a different cav plate for prop swing room.
Perhaps more surgery. Don't really need the upper portion right now with 415HP.

Bolt on and simple speed enhancements are right up the old roadtrip alley this season.

Thanks again everybody for the thoughts!

Todd