PDA

View Full Version : Hoist opinions

PaulO
01-27-2003, 02:57 PM
I know I told Chris that I was going to paint the bottom of my "knock-around" 22 classic but, just in case I can't pull the trigger, any opinions on hoists? I have a tidal change of around 4 feet and a depth of around 4 feet at low tide. The hoist/lift would need to support the boat parrallel to a bulkhead. Salt water of course.
Thanks,
PaulO

Crossbow
01-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Paulo, I use the Airdock that you see advertised in powerboat magazine it works great and is way less money than a Hydro hoist or other rigid lift systems, also can be put in and out with just a little help from one friend, I'm on a floating dock so I'm not quite sure what you would do on a bulkhead situation , but call them and ask they are pretty helpful Rich :cool:

PaulO
01-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Rich,
That's actually one that I am trying to investigate. Finally got a call back from them today. So, I can assume you are happy with yours? Can you tell me what you do for anti-fouling protection?
PaulO

knee deep
01-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Try a search for jet dock. I have seen them at the city marina in Charleston. I was pretty impressed and my hull surveyor keeps his knock around whaler on one and is very happy with it.

KRAVEN
01-27-2003, 07:37 PM
I keep mine on a lift from a company called viking marine out of Stoneycreek,Ontario.They have them world wide in salt and fresh water.I choose the manual lift however they do come in electric.It is freestanding and will lift 6000lbs.It is constructed of all galvanized materials and is reasonably priced.You can look them up at www.vikingmarine.com.I (http://www.vikingmarine.com.I) will email you photos as I haven't mastered uploading photos to the site.

jeddski
01-27-2003, 09:52 PM
I faced the same problem this last season when i perchased the 22ZX. (no bottom paint and would have been a crime to do it) Researched the lifts and found Airdock lifts. I was sceptical but decided to give it a try. They cost about as much as bottom painting anyway.
It worked so well i became a local dealer in Ocean city, nj. Many of my boating friends were sceptical and decided to let me be the guinnie pig. Some of them are planning on getting the lifts for their boats next season.

I live in a salt water bay with a 3-4ft tide as well. They say you can bottom paint the lift, but I didnt want to fool around with bottom painting in the first place. There was a good amount or growth at the end of the season that came right off with some soft scrub and a large scub brush.
We were very pleased with the lift, especially when considering the cost. The only thing i would recommend would be to look for something a little more solid if you are not in protected waters. We are in a small enclosed lagoon, and i am not sure i would be comfortable with the lift in an area that sees any sort of waves/wakes.

Crossbow
01-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Paulo, Yes I am happy with the performance of the lift, I also did not paint the bottom of it last year , In a rush to put it in , but this year I will bottom paint the bag , it had some growth on it , which came off with a scrub brush and some elbow grease, but I'd rather not have to do that again, The airdock works great and remember I'm lifting a 9000lb Z33 ,also when you inflate it it self centers the boat so you dont have to be exactly in the right spot when you stop, just make sure that you are far enough foward to support the rear of the boat .Best of luck Rich wink

Forrest
01-28-2003, 03:20 PM
If you can drive piles where you are, you can't beat an aluminum four-post cradle lift. The only thing that is always in the water is the treated pilings. Good ones are built by ABL (http://www.ablboatlifts.com/), IMM (http://www.immboatlifts.com/), Quality (http://www.qualityboatlifts.com/), as well as a number of others. The main advantage of a floating system is that it may not require any permitting by the Army Corp or DEP since it is considered "not permanent", which in my case, would be a big plus.

------------
Forrest - The guy with a brand new 7000# ALB cradle lift still sitting in his dining room. A big Thank You goes out to Florida DEP and the wonderful condo owners across the canal. :mad:

PaulO
01-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Forrest,
I believe that I cannot legally sink poles however, my neighbors are great. Don't know if it is worth the risk. Got prices from Air-Dock (around $2,200 complete) and I am waiting for a call back from Viking. Any ideas on pricing for those for-pole cable things?
PaulO

PaulO
01-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Wow,
Just got off the phone with Viking Boat Lifts in Ontario. Wow! what nice people. They have this really cool free-standing galvanized lift that stands on 4 feet on the bottom. In the purchase price they travel and install it for you. Approx $4,200 delivered, installed, and guaranteed. A little pricy but you couldn't find people more dedicated to their product.
PaulO

KRAVEN
01-29-2003, 05:52 PM
You will be very impressed with the viking lift,and as you said they are super people to work with.If you mention my name you may get a discount.Just mention Bill Kalinowski on Harsens island.The installers came out Late October water temp 55 degrees,wet suit with hole in knee air temp aprox 40 with 15mph winds out of the north.Took about 4 hours to install,not a job I would like.

Forrest
02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
PaulO, the 7000# four-pile ABL aluminum boat lift that I bought goes for $3400 plus piles. depending on you canal bottom and depth, those piles can be difficult to set yourself. For that reason you may need to get the piling set by a pro. I adds up, but it makes a nice perminate installation. The Florida DEP is stopping me from installing my four-post lift, and I have now proposed a side-mount elevator-lift (http://www.immboatlifts.com/images/lifts/187.jpg) solution to them. The trouble with elevator-lift is that it is (a) more expensive that a four-post lift, (b)the aluminum rails are always in the salt water requiring zincs and careful attention to grounding of the electric motors to prevent stray currents in the water, and (c) since this lift presents a heavy side load on the pilings, these piles must be at leasts 10" to 12" , driven very deep and oftern times tied back to other pilings, a seawall, or a concrete footing on shore.

All of this expense and hassle with DEP is starting to grow thin with me, and that Air Dock (http://www.airdock.com) solution is looking better and better every day. Since the Air Dock is temporary, like a boat tied to your dock, with this thing, I could tell the Condo Owners acress that canal and the DEP to . . . well, ahhhh . . . take a hike! :D

I would counsider Jet Dock since it too is temporary, but have you ever priced that stuff? Example: A Jet Dock for my 27 Magnum was right about $12,000! eek!

Waiting for a call back from Ken Moody of Air Dock on the price of a "D-2" model. I'm ready to buy.

Check the For Sale section for a deal on a brand new ABL "Quantum" cradle lift.

BigGrizzly
02-05-2003, 07:07 PM
all I can say ia I really like my Hydrohoist, needs 4 feet of water to lower the boat,