PDA

View Full Version : New engine or rebuild?

florida gator
01-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Just found out my motor is shot :mad: . 5.7 OMC Cobra. I am told the cost will probably be about the same for a new engine or to rebuild this one. Both would have warranty. Is there a benefit to doing one over the other?

PaulO
01-27-2003, 02:43 PM
One thing to consider is internal corrosion especially if it has been a salt-water cooled motor.
PaulO

Cuda
01-27-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm assuming yours has been run in salt. I would go with new or a new rebuilt. You could also do like I did. I watched ebay and got a 330 hp 350ci freshwater engine with 30 hours on it for $1750. It was in Ohio, and it cost me about $200 to ship it to Florida. This was a complete drop in engine with all the accesories. I also found a complete alpha drive, looked like 0 hours since rebuilt complete with transom assembly for $2000. The trick is to look for one before you need it. It is easier to pass on marginal deals if you can still get out on the water.

Cuda
01-27-2003, 06:26 PM
I definitely would not rebuild a saltwater block or saltwater heads. The corrosion is inevitable. I pulled the heads of a salt engine last year. The engine sat covered in the fresh air, and just the fresh water in the atmosphere caused salt to leach out all the water passages in the block. It looked just like someone took a salt shaker and built one inch salt pyramids. I had a picture of it, I'll post it if I find it.

BTW, when I bought the engine from Ohio, I installed cloosed cooling before it ever tasted salt.

Remember, rust never sleeps.

florida gator
01-27-2003, 07:49 PM
I would like to see the pics. I have run in some salt but the marina that I use is approx. 10 miles up a spring fed river. Most of my use is actually in the fresh water river.

Any leads for an engine supplier. The guy doing the work is empoyed by a machine shop and he is getting some prices. I would like to shop around some.

florida gator
01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Cuda, didn't you recently post that you knew someone with a 5.7?