PDA

View Full Version : Bit of Aronow history on eBay...

JimG
01-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Is this the "Benihana Spirit" boat pictured in the Cigarette section of "King of Thunderboat Row"? Sure sounds like it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401094827&category=26432

Is that some history, or what?

tamburello
01-27-2003, 01:34 PM
The listing says that it has TRS drives but those look like early Speedmaster drives to me. Also, those are some interesting stepped trim tabs. I've never seen stepped tabs any idea who made those?

That would be a fun project boat to pick up. I've been looking for a classic cig for a while but Cali is a little far to go.

riverrat
01-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Totaly Cool Boat!! :D :D One day I will have the money for something like that...Not eek!
But, Judy liked it! so that's a good thing. You got to wonder why it's been out of the water for so long?? good find Jim.. did you bid on it?

the rat

ALLAN BROWN
01-28-2003, 07:28 AM
I designed the stepped tabs for Harold "Smitty" Smith. Everyone was racing the same boat, and looking for any advantage. They didn't seem to make that much difference.

RickSE
01-28-2003, 12:04 PM
This boat was for sale several years back. I thought it had sold but sounds like the same guy still owns it. Awesome boat!!

MR MAGOO
01-28-2003, 03:11 PM
It sure is a cool piece of history!

A buddy of mine had bid on this boat when it was listed several years ago. From what I was told the winning bidder never came through with the money.

I emailed the seller, he does have the carbs and intakes.

What do you think? If it could be bought for 18k, would it be worth it?

Sure would make a cool poker run boat all painted up in orig colors! cool!

smoothie
01-28-2003, 03:31 PM
:D :cool: go for it magoo!!!!!

tamburello
01-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Magoo, that sounds like a strong temptation.

It's gonna take some $$$ and elbow grease to freshen up those big blocks, tune the webbers, rewire, etc.

I wonder if those headers are as healthy as they look. Replacing staggered pipes like that is going to require a healthy stack o' greenbacks.

Looks like she's gonna need a healthy dose of work but the basics are all there. What a great piece of history and a beautiful hull to breathe life into and steal the show from all the new exotic hardware at the pokers runs.

Let us know if you make a move on it!

Hey Brownie, thanks for the history on the trim tabs. That was an interesting experiment in making tabs more efficient.