PDA

View Full Version : Temp sending unit question

Philip47
10-27-2002, 10:59 AM
I had a stock therm housing and water pump. with two provisions for sending units,

Now I have a stainless crossover and therm housingand only one provision for a sending unit
in the front of the intake manifold water jacket directly below the therm housing.

I hooked the water temp gauge wire to this sending unit, do not have a place for the second sending unit.
My water temp gauge does not work, What gives the way my gauge is wired do i need both sending units connected to make it work?????

RickR
10-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Are you checking the right sender? The alarm sender should switch closed around 210F.

If you are checking the sending unit with the gauge and boiling water are you grounding the sender.

Senders work indepenently.

Philip47
10-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Rick,
please re-read my edited post

all I know is that with just one wire and one sending unit the gauge isn't working, If I ground the wire I have hooked to the gauge it pins the temp gauge and lights the temp warning light that comes on @ 180.
When grounding the second wire no movment on the gauge, so I taped off this wire
Thats how i determined which wire to hook to the sindle sending unit.
Don't have a alarm that I know off

Philip47
10-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Okay.. gounded the sending unit and dropped in hot water and temp gauge works great.
so either, the silicone sealent around the sending unit to alum intake is not allowing it to make ground contact
or the engine with no thermostst and a crossover is making NO engine temp
I will run the engine long enouth to be warm and run a ground wire to the sending unit and see which one it is

Phil

Philip47
10-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Gauge working, just no water temp with crossover, oiltemp 140 @ crusie speed 180-190 running 4,500 RPM

BigGrizzly
10-27-2002, 07:28 PM
On my origional cross over and no T-stst the same thing happened to me. That was the last time I drove it without a t-Stat.