PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting 4.3V6

tmumbleau
10-26-2002, 07:51 PM
I have a 96 16' Classic and over the past summer it has been very hard starting. Once it has started it seems to start o.k. during the rest of the day. I give it a shot of starting fluid and it takes off after a couple of tries. I have replaced the fuel filter and it has been throuh a couple tanks of fuel. Is this a fuel pump issue, or is there a primer of some sort? It also runs great at all throttle ranges. Please advise. Thanks, Todd.

HyperDonzi
10-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Try the battery connectors, replce them. Give it some more gas helps too. If run hard enough that motor will last long, 1990 4.3 V6 with over 1300hours, still runs hard.

harbormaster
10-26-2002, 10:45 PM
With all due respect to Tommy,
I must add that Hyperbaja is 15 years old.
I am sure that he is trying to help but a 2nd opinion might be in order. :rolleyes:

harbormaster
10-27-2002, 03:46 AM
Is this engine carbed or fuel injected?

BigGrizzly
10-27-2002, 06:23 AM
This is only the beginning. Battery termanals are not the problem, they usually get worse with each try due to heat and oxidation. The ignition systems have been their week point from the start. However I would start like you did fuel filter first. I t also sounds like thefuel pump is bleading back. How long does it sit between running a day or week etc.

MOP
10-27-2002, 09:09 AM
If its a carb engine it could as simple as ajusting the choke. If its carbed does it bog when you hit the gas? Give us good details, one of the guys will get you going in the right direction.

HyperDonzi
10-27-2002, 09:36 AM
MOP, the 4.3 we have will bog down if it is warmed up, the first 0-WOT start you do (skiing), after that, it wont bog any more that day. Is that a choke problem?

tmumbleau
10-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Thank you all for the advice. To give a few of you more information, the battery is strong. It cranks it long and fast. Also this is a carbed 4.3 and it looks like when I apply the high idle, the choke butterflies are closing. Biggrizzly stated that this is possibly bleed back from the fuel pump. This sounds like it. I run it just on the weekends and it is hard starting each time, but during the day after it has been started it starts fine, but there is only an hour between starts. How is bleed back fixed?

MOP
10-28-2002, 07:36 AM
Not to argue with theories or hurt feelings but I have never agreed with the idea of the fuel pump bleeding back stoping an engine from starting. First of all newer boats have anti syphon valves which should not allow much if any bleed back, also I have never seen a carburator that in any way would allow fuel to syphon out. It would take quite a long time for the fuel in the bowl to evaporate. So week to week usasage would not pose a problem. I would be checking the carb settings, look to see if the accelerater pump is squirting gas when you move the throttle and check for vacuum leaks etc. Also I would squirt a little gas in the carb before using either, it cuts all the lubrication from the cylinder walls.

tmumbleau
10-28-2002, 05:56 PM
I tend to believe the accelerator pump theory. I have looked in the carb and I am not seeing "the squirt". What does an accelerator pump look like? Is it hard to replace? How much do they cost? Thanks.

MOP
10-29-2002, 06:14 AM
The pump styles vary, but do come in a rebuild kit. Carbs are not hard to rebuild even for people unfarmiliar with them. Take your time make notes or get quilified help.

Donzigo
10-29-2002, 06:52 AM
As I read the post, I agreed with MOP. Seems like a carb problem. If it is a Holly 4barrel, as I have, it could be the power valve going bad. You can do one of several things to repair:

a. Rebuild yourself, "It's winter, go for it."
b. Rebuild by a shop, (probably $125/$150)
c. Rebuild by a shop with a flow table to get the settings exact. ($Possibly 200 and up).

My two Holly 650's were rebuilt by a shop without a flow bench and they work great. My feeling is for the extra few dollars, it's better to let the pro's do it, since they do it every day.