PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!! It won't crank now

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Great. After just running fine a few weeks ago, brought the boat around to run her and she will not start now!! Anyone know a reputable service place here in Atlanta? 1999 502 Mag

Tomahawk
01-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim - I have used Park Marine over here in Gainesville with good results. 770 536 3071. Talk to Jerry or Randy. That's a ways from you though. Good luck.

Cuda
01-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Is it turning over?

ToonaFish
01-26-2003, 05:46 PM
A tiny bit closer, but still Park Marina, would be the Kennesaw location. 770/919-2628. Don't let them know you know me, they'll charge you extra. wink

Bunches,

Celene 'does it make a buh buh buh sound?'

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Is she turning over?
Check the kill switch. (lived that eek! )
Is the stick in N ?
It will be something simple.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
01-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Like Bryan said check the kill switch if its cranking and not starting, If she is not cranking check your breakers and there is a fuse on the starter that can go bad

tailwind
01-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Drain your fuel tanks completely, - pump them out - and then let us know! You have without a doubt water in your fuel system. This indeed is a no brainer, best regards and hopes this helps!

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Hoping it is simple. Checked kill switch and is closed. She is turning over but not firing. Did not have any starting fluid or would have sprayed in intake. the shifter is in neutral, but it never even tried to fire or hiccup. Just ran out of time and patience. To be honest, got a little disgusted so decided before I got too angry to have a beer and try again tomorrow.

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Tailwind, the last time I ran it was to run all the STA-BIL in the fuel so I don't think it is water in the tank although I would not rule it out.

tailwind
01-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Never overlook the obvious, Olemiss: First check the fire at no:1 plug?

tailwind
01-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Just pull the plug, and see if you can shock yourself? You will have fire or you will not?

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Tailwind, are you from Jackson?? Grew up in Pascagoula, but most of my family from the Delta. I wish I could live in MS again, but not much work for A&P mechanics back home. Thanks for the tips. Like I said, just got mad and came inside today, will do some troubleshooting tomorrow and hopefully find the cause

tailwind
01-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Again, most problems, are indeed caused by faulty wiring connections and also fuel filter combos. Small world Ole Miss! Loook foward to getting over your way!

tailwind
01-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Ole Miss : Will help any way we can. Glad you have found the DONZI Registry! Call when you can: 601-366-1018 , best regards Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-26-2003, 09:37 PM
That EFI will damn near start on water! That is not the issue.
Check all electrical connections.
Keep us posted.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
01-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Don't pull the plug and shock yourself! If you have an EFI you will stand a good chance of killing yourself Do you know how many volts an EFI puts out.

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Bryan, that is why I got so ticked. Now I have only had the chance to run it on the hose 3 times but always fired immediately. All plug wires were attached and secure and on distrubotor were secure, all breakers in, kill switch up, shifter in neutral, but nothing. If not too cold in morning will start to narrow it down. Thanks Bryan

olemissalum
01-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Shanghied, don't worry, I was going to get the kid to hold it for me :D

Rootsy
01-26-2003, 10:13 PM
my thoughts...

the thunderbolt is gonna toss about 35000 volts in potential across the plug gap... the amount of voltage is dependant soley upon the coil and the voltage supplied to it... if it rolls over well but won't so much as hiccup it could be fire OR it could be fuel.. if it is injected... if you've checked the kill switch and fuses the next few steps are to tell you which is faulty... ignition or the fuel system.

1. you can pull the wire off of the coil and lightly lie it on top of the terminal, turn it over and if you hear a snap snap snap you know you have juice... you can pull a plug, any plug... put it BACK in the plug wire... HOLD the wire boot, not the plug and hold the plug against a ground... have someone turn it over and you'll see spark if there is juice to it and if the plug is actually grounded... OR the safest, get out a timing light and attach it and have someone turn the motor over, if you are getting spark the light will flash...

2. if you are getting fuel the plugs should be wet.... so either it is flooded or again you have no juice to the plug... if you check juice at the plug you should know if it is getting fuel... not to mention you should smell it

3. on an EFI system if your battery voltage falls to low the computer may not function properly or at all... so make sure your battery is fully charged...

i'd lean toward the lack of juice to the efi system or ignition...

check all of the breakers... past that take her and have the puter diagnose it...

Donzi Blackhawk
01-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Guys,

Is the fuel pump working? All EFI's will have the pump charge the system to full psi. Simple test, turn the key switch to the on position. Very quickly turn the the key to the start position then quickly back to the on position. This will signal the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds then turn off. If you heard the fuel pump running, that is half of your probem solved.

NEVER pull a plug and then crank the engine! Bad things happen with gas fumes and open spark in an engine room! A safer bet is to put a timing light on any one of the plug wires, crank the engine and watch for the light to flash.

These two simple tests can be be done in a matter of 2 min. tops. Give us more details of your results and we might be able to help you more.

Bryant

tailwind
01-26-2003, 10:38 PM
I did not want to initiate a controversy on how to check for spark at the plug, and will absolutely remove my comments whatsoever! There are high voltages at the leads which will knock your thing in the dirt, however not deadly! If those reading this comment do not feel confident in reading a ign fired timing light, please do not go any further! My post was only offered as a very intermediate and basic means of ignition timing basics. Certainly, if this is indeed offensive to the registrar, by all means, your closest marine mech will be more than happy to provide this info accordingly!

Best regards, Randy

Shanghied Again
01-27-2003, 05:38 AM
50,000 volts EFI System? Make sure all your leads are clean and your battery is up to snuff.

olemissalum
01-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Found the cause!! Isolated the #1 battery with switch and fired right up. I guess the bad battery was pulling juice from the good battery, which although had enough voltage to turn the engine over, not enough to fire the plugs. Thanks for all the good information.

RedDog
01-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a valuable lesson learned - better to learn now than later while on the water

Donzi Dreaming
01-28-2003, 12:07 PM
This is a good tool to check spark with, not necessary to remove the plug, no one is holding the plug wire. I have one in my tool box and have used it many times.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/JCornell07.Sparktester.jpg

It's not fun being jolted by a HEI ignition, been there done that.

John