PDA

View Full Version : videos?

96blackhawk502
10-26-2002, 03:31 PM
Are there any websites where I can download videos of Donzi, Baja, Fountain or any other off shore boats besides this site?

HyperDonzi
10-26-2002, 04:52 PM
www.offshoreonly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com) will have videos posted from time to time, maybe join the Freeze Frame video club, but thats expensive.

If someone has a DVD, I can convert it to VCD (.mpg) or DivX; ) and it can be posted on websites and the VCD can be burnt to a cd and played in a DVD player.

I will encode the Formula DVD soon and send it to you,if you have cable or maybe cut it in parts to be posted here if Scot allows is.

RedDog
10-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey Hyper - I've been playing with the VCD format for a while and its great - but recently I got a DVD burner. A definite raise in image quality over the VCD but initally a real pain to get results that would play on my stand-alone home unit.

Check out www.vcdhelp.com (http://www.vcdhelp.com) amd www.doom9.org (http://www.doom9.org) for great info and guidance on both VCD abd DVD.

HyperDonzi
10-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Ever try SVCD? you get around 35 min of movie on a standard 700mb cd but the quality is almost DVD. Plus all it takes is time, not money like a DVD burner!!! :D

HyperDonzi
10-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Red Dog, How much $ would you want to take some movies in VCD and burn them all onto a DVD?

RedDog
10-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Hyper

Only tried SVCD once - my player didn't like it - but then maybe I did it wrong? Your right about cost though. CDRs are around $0.25 or less now - if fact the last spindle of 50 I bought was almost free after mail-in rebates are considered

Would only cost you the price of a DVD+R or DVD+RW disk - well maybe the word "only" is pushing it. I did see a special in today's paper where DVD+Rs could be had for around $3.00. I'll do it just to get some more experience at producing and of course I get to see your film footage - DON'T send me scenes with your girlfriend wink and don't expect a quick turn around - first vacation of the year is coming next week.

Oh, and DVD+Rs won't read in all DVD players. The last one I did would read on both on my home computers (Compaq amd HP) and my stand-alone DVD (Apex 600A), but not on my laptop (Compaq).

Rather than starting with files from a VCD, it would be best if you had the raw AVI file footage. Quality would not improve if I started with a file that was already in VCD format so no benefit to convert it to DVD. But you could get more minutes of video? I may not have this exactly correct, but:

VCD = MPEG-1 = 320 x 240 resolution, 29.97 frames per second

DVD = MPEG-2 = 720 x 480 resolution, 29.97 fps

Send your data or better, do you know a way I can download via FTP? If you send via e-mail, send to hpmail@comcast.net and let me know at tsfloyd@comcast.net (I only retrieve e-mail at hpmail using cable modem; at tsfloyd I'm usually on phone dial-up modem).

HyperDonzi
10-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Me and my friend set up a ftp on his computer and I will have him put it on there, and make you a user name etc.

I have always done VCD 25 fps PAL

but I do have a jap player that plays everything but avi's. My friend is thai and had his DVD player modified to play thai dvd's and even some of his wont play in his but will play in mine.

Would it be ok if they are movies from avi or vcd that will all fit on a dvd?

RedDog
10-27-2002, 05:39 PM
AVI would be best to start with. If in VCD, I have to figure how to rip the video out to an MPEG file - I'm sure there is a ripper to do this.

Isn't NTSC the USA standard instead of PAL? Seems you would want NTSC format.

The FTP approach for me to download would be great. Get it set up and then we'll talk after my vacation to get the access, etc. Be back Tuesday 11/5