PDA

View Full Version : Question about a 1966

shaggy
10-25-2002, 11:21 PM
I came across this page looking for something else, but

My brother-in-law has had a 1966 (2+3)donzi..it's about 19' (I'm going by my fussy memory on that, it looks like some i have seen on here -i'm pretty sure on the year) he's had it for about 20 years. The captains chair is on the port side, it's yellow. He told me a long time ago, that cobalt was the original owner of this boat. Do i need to call him on this story?? wink

oldLenny
10-25-2002, 11:50 PM
If it only has a captains chair on the left then it is a 16' (16' 7" actually). Two chairs, then it is an 18. Yellow is common. No, it is not a COBALT if in fact it is a DONZI. DONZI started the phenomenom in 1964 (not the 18 at that time mind you), and then,1970's, (the beginning) COBALT copied for a short duration. They were told to cease and desist. End of the COBALT copy. Lots of links here on that including this one http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005898 ... Do a search from above top right under "Post a Poll".

COBALT could indeed have been the owner of this hull and it could have served as the plug for the XV-500 if it is an 18 or the XV-200 if it is the 16. If they in fact did own the boat, then I would say it is a "COLLECTORS PIECE" !!! They probably used it... eek! ...

shaggy
10-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks Lenny.

It has side by side seating in the front. I think the orginal name wasn't in the company cobalts name, but in the name of the guy who owned cobalt. I can't remember his name (probably could look it up on the net, but i'm lazy wink ) Brother-in-law said he knows guys who worked on it while cobalt owned it. Also, i think its a 67.

CDMA
10-29-2002, 09:02 PM
The boat that spawned the copies?

Chris

shaggy
10-29-2002, 09:17 PM
Chris,

It is suppose to be the "evil" spawn wink

I've rode in one of the cobalts, but it doesn't seem the same. The deck seems a little more rounded, and looks good. The ride doesn't feel the same though.