PDA

View Full Version : chrome air cleaner

riverrat
12-26-2001, 10:45 PM
Hey guy's, I'm looking to make my 350 mag mpi look a little better when I open the hatch. Does anybody know if someone makes a K & N with a chrome top & bottom for the '99 350 mag mpi. The black cover just doesn't do it for me anymore. And maybe I'll get a little more air in the motor too?

thanks for the help!! :D :D

Sam
12-27-2001, 10:48 AM
I'll take a look in my K&N catalog tonight and get back to you.

Sam

Sam
12-27-2001, 07:22 PM
Riverrat, there appears to be several options for you in the K&N catalog. The problem is matching the right top and bottom to your current setup. One other thing the parts that I have here do not say US Coast Gaurd Approved. You may need to call K&N for some help. If you want I can fax you the pages that I think will help, along with the K&N #.

Sam

marcdups
12-27-2001, 07:33 PM
Gaffrig will make one that matches your boat colour, at a price, they are on line, check them out!!Wish i could post the link but as of yet do not have a clue how to do that but it is gaffrigperformance.com, good luck, Marc

Hardonzi
12-27-2001, 07:56 PM
I too have tried to find that setup for my 2000 350 mag.No one has it for stock carbs on the 350.U have to redo the whole setup to put the K&N application. :(

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-27-2001, 08:48 PM
I too had no luck finding the right set up for the 350 mag, when I did they were not CG approved, which would worry me, what I did learn buying a K&N filter for the 502 was;
every place from Eddies marine ($210) to Vortec ($325) to yada yada yada are all identical holders for a simple K&N filter, add the word marine, double the price! For the 502 they are USCG approved. Like I said they are all almost identical, T6160 billet alluminum, you pay for the name on it, the ones with no brand name are cheapest! Once filter is in hand you get the cleaner kit from Advance or some major auto place for $10 and it should out last the engine if cleaned properly and regularly.
For the 502 it was a huge difference in how she breathed, the whistle effect was gone, you can barely even see through the stock set up when held up to the sun!
I also learned that Advance auto cannot order Marine or PWC parts from K&N, at least my store could not and the called HQ while I was there.
And lastly I learned there is no substitute for a 1/4 allan on a socket vice using an allen wrench, 3/8 drive at Sears for $3...

Since most on this board are single BB guys, try asking on OSO where there are more twin SB engine set up types.

Good luck.
Bryan

turbo2256
12-27-2001, 11:48 PM
A bit off topic but does anyone know of a K&N part no. for a 2001 7.4. I have rquested a cataloge from them months ago but never recieved one. There web site list was wacked some misstyping hp and engine sizes didnt match.

turbo2256
12-28-2001, 12:13 AM
Also puttng K&N filters might require a recalibration of FI engines talk to Crocket Marine or Arizona Speed and Marine about it.
BEware of leaning out at max throttle.

riverrat
12-28-2001, 06:52 AM
Well, looks like I'll stay factory then. It's still cool when you open the hatch & people go man, how did they get that in there?

thaks guys..
the rat... :D :D

turbo2256
12-28-2001, 12:10 PM
Riverrat Crocket marine wanted 300 to burn me a new chip for my 2001 7.4 if I added headers and edelbrock heads.

BigGrizzly
12-28-2001, 08:02 PM
Turo That is high, since if you take the spark arestor off completly it runs fine and is still a little rich still. Unless they changed from the 2000 model. Also the 7.4 is the weak one of the 454 series, the internales of the 454 mag are much better, and they ARE different. The ecm is very plain and not very exotic in any way. Hope you didn't spend the money

Randy

turbo2256
12-28-2001, 10:40 PM
Figured on that for what I want the 454 oval port is needed and 2000 for bullet proof internals is cheeper than 454 mag option and changing heads and intake to oval port and still not have as good internals. The four bolt mains in the mag engine are debatable as to greater strength

BigGrizzly
12-29-2001, 07:34 AM
Its not just the 4 bolt mains,its the rods and bolts and the pistons. Some have put blowers on them and have them live. These are seasoned drivers who can make junk live forever. I don't know what your application is, but the heads would have been my last option, due to the price and flow rate and the usable rpms in a marine application. At 5000 rpms the lateral harmonics of that engine are rod destroying, with or without 4 bolt mains.

Randy

turbo2256
12-29-2001, 08:42 AM
As I posted 2000 for forged crank,carello rods, and forged blower pistons is cheeper than the magmum engine option from Merc over the 7.4 and would be stronger than if I bought the magnum and changed it to oval port heads and manifold. Biggest problem with the 7.4 is the valve train and pistons the rest isn't that bad. The heads suck for puting out real power the exhaust ports are bad. Even ported they don't do much. The square ports have to much volume for the flow and 454 even 502 could benifit from aftermarket smaller port higher flow heads. Putting Edelbrock oval ports ,ported, on my 7.4 carb motor really woke it up allowed 3 in more pitch with the stock cam and a 750 Holley. I am now pushing more prop than a 502 would in my boat good tube headers at this point would add alot more and the economy is way above the mag motors throttle responce is better. for the price of a 502 over a 7.4 I can almost build a bulldog motor from scratch.

harbormaster
12-29-2001, 07:18 PM
Turbo. Do you get a warranty with that bulldog motor? How would it compare reliability wise with the 502?

Just playing Devils advocate...

BigGrizzly
12-29-2001, 10:34 PM
Scott, a Bulldog is a 540 cid thqt puts out 470 HP. It is a stroked 502 with Iron heads and a carb, nothing spectacular except it real good torque. Ted's boat has one. They aldo have HP rods eith 7/16 rod bolts and are one of the most durable motors Merc makes.
Turbo, If you have a carb why would even bother with a chip all the chip is is a timing and Knock sensor on the carb models, and any K&N spark arestoe will bolt to the 750 Holley. Did you get rid of the FI unit? Didn't know Merc had a Carb 7.4 in 2001, my merc book doesn't show it. Whats wrong with the valve train My son's came stock with a roller setup and the same rockers as the 502

Randy

turbo2256
12-30-2001, 12:09 PM
500 Bulldog:
500/470 hp
540 cu in
crank: Lunati forged steel
block: tall deck
rods: Manley forged
pistons: Wiseco forged
rings: Speed Pro
heads: open chamber GM w/3 angle valve seats
valves: intake 2.25 dia SS
exh 1.88 dia lnconel
springs: Crane
lifters: Crane
cam: Crane
pushrods: Crane HD
rocker arms: Crane Roller
intake: Dart single plane
carb: Holley 800 CFM
exhaust: Gill w/ SS risers
fuel pump: Carter HP
oil pump: Melling HO
oil pan: MerCruser cast aluminum structural
1 year warranty

turbo2256
12-30-2001, 12:42 PM
The carb motor is 1988 with stock bottom end,Jacobs ignition,Edlebrock ported oval ports,air gap dual plane,750 holley,stainless rises,Crane gold roller rockers, HD custom push rods,ARP head studs,ARP rocker studs and poly locks,HO Holley fuel pump,aluminum exhaust manifolds,Aeroquip hoses. Has a very broad and flat power curve. Spins a 26p 4 blade hydromotive prop up to 5200 RPM in a 236 Seebold

The FI engine is in a Sunsation Agressor 2001 which if I decide to keep it will end up
turbocharged.

My Donzi is a 1966 16 with an I drive gimbal, SS out drive and a 302 with turbos
waiting to be assembled still looking for trim cyls, tabs and pumps

BigGrizzly
12-30-2001, 03:26 PM
Receives your picture of the seebold,neatly put together. My boate are 18 Corsican with a 351 Fors Cleveland closed chambered bih port headswirh 2.19 manley intakes AND 1.79 exhaust. stanless roller rockers a Babe Erson cam CMI hedders with a 600 holley spins a 23 Hill prop 5600 Rpms, which is all I will let it. The other boat is a Donzi Criterion with a 502 Procharged motor with a 825 Demond carb, a Babe Erson cam and I spin a prototype Turbo 28" lightning at 5700.Speed is down due to a TRS drive combo, but it makes me happy.

Randy

Looped
12-31-2001, 09:41 AM
Is this something like what you're looking for:

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/215_30.jpg

Eddie Marine (http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=293&CategoryID=34)

(I should have read this whole posting before I posted this message because Bryan Tuvell has already mentioned about this one)

Craig