PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water Cooling

TORYSMINX
12-26-2001, 03:43 PM
I am thinking of putting on FWC on my new stroker motor. I was wondering if anybody has had good or bad experiences with them?

Also I was wondering about the installation, it does not look to be too hard but then again I have not done it.

Thanks again

Tory

BigGrizzly
12-26-2001, 10:09 PM
I have use it on all my boats except the Criterion( heat exchanger is on loan). It is great because you can run a engine at 190 and the exhaust cold 140f. I use antifreeze so the block doesn rust. On one boat I even include the exhaust so no salt runs through it either. If you do this you need a larger heat exchanger. In most cases it is not necessary to cool the exhaust. To do it is simple, the heat exchanger is the radiator. the circ pump does that part. the raw water pump goes to the heat exchanger anf than out the exhaust-simple. I don't even buy a kit just the exchanger and a surg tank.

Randy

Cuda
12-28-2001, 08:08 PM
I am also thinking of fwc on my boat. It is a sbc. Anyone have suggestions of what brand to get?

BigGrizzly
12-29-2001, 07:51 AM
I use Sen-Dur, they arn't the cheepest. I have used them since the 1960's. They use to have 80% of the market untill cheap over ruled quality. Its uour choice. Forest said he say a good company at a boat show, don't remember who.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-29-2001, 08:42 AM
Hi RANDY! Happy Holiday, do you have a web site or phone number for Sen Dur.

R/Bryan

harbormaster
12-29-2001, 09:06 AM
Anyone want to write an article on installing FWC for the tech section. It would be nice to include some photos.

Jamesbon
12-29-2001, 09:15 AM
I went to a couple local marine salvage yards and picked up a Merc sbc cooler for $200. Make sure to inspect thoroughly and pressure test. I recently found one for a BBC for $250.

I too only purchased a tank, then fabricated the mount and purchased the hoses and associated adapters and tee's seperately. Maybe she wasn't the prettiest FWC set up on the water, but she worked flawlessly and didn't cost much either.

Wish I would have known about Marine East (http://www.marineeast.com) when I set up my small block, they make all the hose adapters one will need when performing this modification.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-29-2001, 09:50 AM
HARBORMASTER great idea, I for one would love to check it out, I too have looked at 1/2 and full systems all running about $700 for the 502. the difference between full and 1/2 was $100 ? I am still reading about the pros and cons of doing half or whole.

I am spent $$$ out for this year but I think it would be a neat project for next winter, I am one of those guys who is not the most mechanically inclined but with some good directions and advice could probably pull it off....
If no one does and I decide to tackle it next year I will post a full series of photos. No more mods before AOTH II...

Just got the boat ready for the Scott Boldts inspection, they are coming for a visit!
Donzi talk all evening!
Bryan