PDA

View Full Version : Anchor shade or??

G - FORCE 88
09-17-2002, 08:48 AM
I was ondering if you guys know of another brand of temporary bimini top for a 22 classic. I want something like Anchor SHade but its $200 bucks, One time someone on hear said there was a cheaper alternative for about $90 bucks. DOes any body know or can help me out with this. Dogs and girlfriend get to hot when hanging at the sandbar.... :D smileybo

RickSE
09-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Try this,

http://www.lostbwana.com/bimini2.htm

Someone here bought one but I never heard if it was good quality. I'm planning on buying one before next summer.

Dalelama
09-17-2002, 10:59 AM
TRy WEST MARINE on US-1 in Coral Gables.. between Bird Road and LeJune Road...

I bought mine there.. and I think it was $150.

Use it on the boat, at the beach, airport... anywhere!

Tidbart
09-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Last I saw, BoatUS had 10% off Taylor products for the month of September. This makes the Anchorshade $180. If you can get it for $150, that is a steal. Can't help with the quality of the other unit, but I think the Anchorshade is well made.
Bob

boldts
09-18-2002, 12:56 AM
I can't comment on any of the other umbrella type covers. I bought an AnchorShade about 5 years ago and it is a good quality piece. It works better on the 22 than it did on the 18 because of the cleats on the 22, but is usable on an 18 also. I used to remove the center storage cover or ice chest cover if you so desire and put the pole down in there to allow for the height and then used suction cups on the tie down straps. It wouldn't stay in place under way on the 18 and I haven't tried leaving it up while under way on the 22, but hey, it's a temporary sun shade not a bimini.

Jim
09-18-2002, 12:51 PM
I’m sorry I didn’t give a follow up, I had purchased the Bimini Shade a few months ago and I have had very good luck with it.

I will post the pro’s and con’s. The Bimini Shade only cost $80 which I think included shipping. They also give you a ton of nylon adjustable straps which will reach any tree
at a typical camp site. The material they use is not nylon but it’s suppose to block 100%
uv and it defiantly would keep you dry in a quick rain storm. The only draw back on the
heavier material is it doesn’t stay totally taught when its windy, we used ours on some pretty windy days and didn’t seem to have a problem. The bimini shade also did well when we were just idling around. The only thing I would suggest for them to change is to put a better cam lock on the pole. The pole has two height settings that have a button that locks it in place, this works fine but if you want it lower then the two settings then
you have to rely on the cam to lock and hold it. The cam holds it up ok but if anyone grabs the pole and puts any type of downward pressure it will move pretty easily. We primarily kept it on the second to highest setting which worked fine for us. I own a
1988 Z21 if you were wondering.

Here is a post I had of the boys, sorry it doesn’t show the Bimini shade better.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky15.jpg

Thanks Jim

I had to post this one, don’t yell at me for taking the life jackets off. It was just for their nap. This is how we got them to nap, took
Josh tubbing for an hour.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky16.jpg

donziminx86
09-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Jim,
those are classic pic's!! What type of seat are you using there, I have to come up with something for my 15 month old. Also, what did you anchor them to?

Jim
09-18-2002, 02:35 PM
The seats came out of our triple stroller, I have a pick from May/June time frame that shows the seats a little better. They were only a year old in this shot and the seats do a pretty good job keeping them from falling over. I put brass eyelets in the bottom of seat and have 4 8" rubber
bungee cords holding each seat in. The canopys work great since we don't have a bimini top to keep up while under power. The boy's are now 16 months old and it only gets easier every time we go out, I can't wait for next year when we don't have to worry about putting the seats in the boat.

Who said you can't boat with babies and we only have a 22'. I wished I had registered on Offshore only because they had a topic regarding children and boats and these people were complaining about taking babies out in 30' boats. Don't get me wrong, I can't open her up with the boy's but going 35 to 40mph with them is better then sitting at home.

Thanks Jim

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky17.jpg

Cuda
09-21-2002, 01:03 PM
I bought the one from lost bawana. It is definetly heavier duty than the anchor shade for over $100 less. My buddy bought an anchor shade and it began to fray after just a few trips in the boat. He took it back to west marine and got his money back, then bought the one from lost bawana.