PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Mystery Oil

Looped
12-26-2001, 02:39 PM
I have heard that it’s good to let engine parts soak with Marvel Mystery Oil but I’m not sure if it’s a good long-term idea. I have been doing this to my Chevy 302 crank and block and it has been set aside for another project so I will let it bathe for a while if it will be good for it (they still need to be cut & bored so they are not in a finished state).

My arm has been twisted so I found a Chevy 396 crankshaft under the tree yesterday so I need to thank Woodsy & Waleyetwo’s brother-in-law for my new BBC project and convincing me to not use the 302, I just hope it fits under there. :D

Craig
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lwdc10.gif

Woodsy
12-26-2001, 07:28 PM
Looped...

I don't think soaking any type of metal in Marvel or any other type of penetrating oil is harmful at all. I wouldn't be concerned.
I cannot wait to hear more of this BB Chevy project.... Thats going to be one hell of an 18.... were definitely going to have to break out the tape measure.... WOOHOO!!

Woodsy :D

PS: Great pic of you, me & the princess...

BigGrizzly
12-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Marvel won't hurt anything it will clean it at worst case. There is an injection sustem used a long time ago that would inject it into the carb of a normaly aspirated engine. It was suppose to give longer life. No comments on this except it didn't hurt. In the old days we motorcycle racers would dump som in the gas tank of 4stroke engines when we raced in the rain, it would keep the slides from sticking, in bikes befir push pull throttles.

Randy

Looped
12-27-2001, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, I didn’t think it would do any harm plus it will keep it from rusting up too. I had a few pages on all of the weights and dimensions on Ford and Chevy small & big block engines that gave me a good comparison but I have no clue where I put it, does any one have specs like this that they can post? I would be nice to fit it under the hatch without glassing on a scoop.

The picture did come out okay but it looks like I’m about to burst out laughing for some reason (I’m sure the booze had nothing to do with it). The Marr man sent over a few dozen pictures to me that I will post soon in the Gallery. To keep things going for the winter months he will keep sending me some in batches each month so that I can post them.

Thanks,
Craig

Looped
12-27-2001, 09:27 AM
FYI

If anyone is looking for weights & dimensions of most Domestic engines you can go >>Here<< (http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/7062/engine.html)